Loves to help with queries

Default Gralton married in London

Hello, my quest is to find the marriage of Cornelius Gralton (Irish) marrying Honora Quinlan (both her names have spelling variations) about June 1855. They are supposed to have had a child called Ann in 1854 registered in Marylebone. However I am unable to find either event through FreeBDM. Hanora migrated to Australia in 1856 under the name of Quinlan. In 1858 Cornelius followed, travelling with 4 yr old Ann - and ship record states "wife (and mother of Ann), Hanora" is in Sydney. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

I haven't had chance to check registers etc, but by just looking at FreeBMD for a Cornelius in Middlesex in 1855 I've found an entry for Cornelius Grant in Holborn in the June quarter - ref 1b 592.

Funnily enough, both brides on that page are called Honora - the surnames are Holland and Quillinan.

Allowing for possible illiteracy and/or strong accents etc, then if the Grant and Quillinan surnames belong together, this marriage might be a good contender.

As for Ann, I can't see any obvious births, other than a few vague possibilities from using wildcards and phonetic similarities at FreeBMD (surnames Gra*, Ga* etc). Checking the mothers' maiden names on the GRO site doesn't make any of them look much more likely either.

Well done with the Grant/Quillinan combination. Must confess I simply ignored "grant" as too far off the mark. Should have looked at the wife section. Appreciate your help very much.

Also, the website which said they married in London, said in "St Brigid's. They were both Roman Catholic. Are you aware of such a Church?

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    Also, the website which said they married in London, said in "St Brigid's. They were both Roman Catholic. Are you aware of such a Church?
    No, but I'm not an expert in either London or RC churches/records. All searches I've tried seem to end up at St Bride's, Fleet Street, which is Church of England.

The only thing that didn't was when I went to the (RC) Diocese of Westminster and looked in their parish list. Putting "St B" (only) in the church name box brought up St Bede, St Boniface etc etc, but only one St Brigid, in the wrong part of London.

Incidentally, when describing looking for Ann's birth, I forgot to say that I also tried "Qui*" - as her parents weren't married, she might (should) have been registered under her mother's surname.

Thanks for checking. Wish folk would put up their source material if they are going to make statements. Thanks also for tip about illegit birth surname.

Dundee10

The source of the church name is probably from the marriage certificate. Findmypast have some later records for St Bridget, Baldwin's Gardens, Holborn:

https://www.findmypast.com.au/articl...al-parish-list

There are some newspaper items which refer to it as St Bridgets Catholic Mission/Catholic Chapel in Grays Inn Lane, Baldwin's Gardens.

Actually FindMyPast have earlier registers too, just not indexed. So I've found the marriage, and as Dundee10 says, it was at St Bridget, Baldwin's Gardens, Holborn.

What you need to do is go to the A-Z of Record Sets and locate the one called England Roman Catholic Parish Registers Browse. Here you need to browse for or enter a parish name - the key word is Holborn, and Baldwin's Gardens should come up.

The marriage took place on 24 Jun 1855, and the entry includes the names of both sets of parents and where they lived.

Because of FMP's T&Cs I can't give you full details, but if you don't have a current subscription to view this, you might want to sign up for the free weekend which is on at the moment. (If you do, beware of getting automatically signed in to a paid subscription, unless you actually want one.) Alternatively, many public libraries (in the UK) offer access to FMP on their computers, or you can buy pay-per-view credits.

The image here is the church's own register, and it records a different set of information to an official (civil) marriage register. There's more here about addresses and parents, but nothing about occupations. However, the marriage will have been attended by a registrar and recorded in a standard civil register book as well, with information about occupations. A copy of the official marriage certificate would tell you what the registrar wrote down.

I haven't tried looking for her, but it's possible that Ann's baptism might be found by browsing too.

Thank you Arthurk. I am in Australia, so the library isn't an option. I will consider the free weekend bit. They were both uneducated, labourer/general servants, and I have their parents names from the ship's lists. I am very happy to have the date and venue of marriage confirmed, and do greatly appreciate your (and the previous folks) suggestions.