Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Loves to help with queries

Default Gralton married in London

Hello, my quest is to find the marriage of Cornelius Gralton (Irish) marrying Honora Quinlan (both her names have spelling variations) about June 1855. They are supposed to have had a child called Ann in 1854 registered in Marylebone. However I am unable to find either event through FreeBDM. Hanora migrated to Australia in 1856 under the name of Quinlan. In 1858 Cornelius followed, travelling with 4 yr old Ann - and ship record states "wife (and mother of Ann), Hanora" is in Sydney. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

I haven't had chance to check registers etc, but by just looking at FreeBMD for a Cornelius in Middlesex in 1855 I've found an entry for Cornelius Grant in Holborn in the June quarter - ref 1b 592.

Funnily enough, both brides on that page are called Honora - the surnames are Holland and Quillinan.

Allowing for possible illiteracy and/or strong accents etc, then if the Grant and Quillinan surnames belong together, this marriage might be a good contender.

As for Ann, I can't see any obvious births, other than a few vague possibilities from using wildcards and phonetic similarities at FreeBMD (surnames Gra*, Ga* etc). Checking the mothers' maiden names on the GRO site doesn't make any of them look much more likely either.

Well done with the Grant/Quillinan combination. Must confess I simply ignored "grant" as too far off the mark. Should have looked at the wife section. Appreciate your help very much.

Also, the website which said they married in London, said in "St Brigid's. They were both Roman Catholic. Are you aware of such a Church?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    Also, the website which said they married in London, said in "St Brigid's. They were both Roman Catholic. Are you aware of such a Church?
    No, but I'm not an expert in either London or RC churches/records. All searches I've tried seem to end up at St Bride's, Fleet Street, which is Church of England.

The only thing that didn't was when I went to the (RC) Diocese of Westminster and looked in their parish list. Putting "St B" (only) in the church name box brought up St Bede, St Boniface etc etc, but only one St Brigid, in the wrong part of London.

Incidentally, when describing looking for Ann's birth, I forgot to say that I also tried "Qui*" - as her parents weren't married, she might (should) have been registered under her mother's surname.

Thanks for checking. Wish folk would put up their source material if they are going to make statements. Thanks also for tip about illegit birth surname.