Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Local History sites & Facebook

I hope I may be allowed to explain what happened this week. I decided to join on Facebook a local history society and posted an enquiry regarding a family name I was interested in within 4 hours someone had sent me a 97page file charting the family way back to the year dot. It isn't a one name study but I can see it has been well researched I can still ad my own stuff. I have printed it off and will be using a highlighter to mark my own family because its a bit like staring into headlights. I hope to meet up with some distant cousins in the next few weeks.

What a great result Jane
    I joined Facebook a couple of years ago but was only on there for a few hours before I decided it wasn't for me but have been reconsidering. You have given me another reason to.
    Enjoy meeting your new found cousins.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

In 30 years of tracing my own family history blood sweat and tears of frustration. I spend a bit of time on my husbands family and I get back to 1800 in a few months and then after a break and another go this happens.

Like Christina I have severe reservations about FB. I joined a few years ago when our son and his family spent a month in Australia and we wanted to keep in contact. I keep thinking of removing my account but my very few FB friends include my family and they post stuff that is of interest from time to time. I hardly post anything and FB doesn't like me as a result, meaning it restricts what I can see.

But back to Jane's post....I have Gees in my family from Northamptonshire and Leicestershire. Indeed a great grandmother was a Gee. So I would be interested to learn whether all this new information might include names from those counties. I know that Gee is quite a common surname which is probably why the file is so big but it certainly shows that someone has spent a huge amount of time on the name.

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke