Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Migration to South African after 1840

Looking for some help please and not sure where to start looking. Very new to tracing my ancestry but I have made some progress.

1) I am looking for the following family member arriving in South Africa after 1841 England Cencus and settling George(Georgetown) -South Africa. I'm looking for Elijah Summerlee born 1829 Ely in Cambridgeshire. He married Emma Stevens was from Crondal in Hampshire. They married in 1852 in George. I believe Elijah would have travelled alone and Emma with a party of families possibly Stevens, Mileham, Dixon and Hill as they were all from the same area. Timeline for arriving 1841 to 1852
    2) I am looking for Peter Clarke a military man Served in India with 84th foot. Could have arrived anytime between 1855 through 1871. Travelling with his with possibly his wife and 4 or 5 children. 1st Wife Bridget I think died in India. He did remarry 2nd with also called Bridget
    3) I am looking for Danoto Millela an Italian born abt 1858. Stayed in England abt 1873 to 1877. He then came to Port Elizabeth about 1877.

Hope you can point me in the right direction

Thank you

Famous for offering help & advice

I guess this is the correct Peter Clarke

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPMC-4DM5

but I suppose it is specifically the migration date that you are seeking - with all these people

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Same Peter Clarke. That is how I found out he was married twice. Yes specifically looking for how they all arrived in South Africa.

Thanks for the feedback

Famous for offering help & advice

Hallo Matthew

I am now back from holiday and am answering your PM on this thread rather than directly, in case others have any further ideas. Sadly I don't have anything concrete for you. Passenger lists are notoriously thin on the ground prior to 1890 except for government aided immigration schemes. I have looked in the annexure to Esme Bull's book "Aided Immigration 1857-1867" covering 1848-51 but can't see any mention of Elijah Summerlee or Emma Stevens (or the other families you mention). If they came out independently then they MAY appear in newspaper Shipping News, but usually these notices just report the captain and a few first class passengers and then something like "+ 100 in steerage"

eGGSA is gradually working towards indexing such passenger lists as they can lay their hands on, with a searchable index, so it is worth looking at https://www.eggsa.org/arrivals/eGGSA...20Project.html (and continuing to look periodically) but don't hold your breath

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I will look out for the more unusual names you mention when doing my newspaper transcriptions
    https://www.eggsa.org/newspapers/
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids