Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My son served 22 years in the Signals and was seconded to several different regiments, including the American 1st infantry during the first Gulf War so yes, they still send siggies out with the grunts to let everyone know where they are and to ask for three and fourpence.

Sorry I can't be more help
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you all for input I presumed sgm was rank for Sergeant major but I see how a few think it may just be short for Signalman. The address book gave # 9 section so again thought would pinpoint to which group he was assigned to. It is all a bit annoying. I really knew so little of my Mother's family ,they were from England i was from Scotland and most had died before my birth or close to it. As I mentioned The Nicholson's were linked to my Gran's sister Nellie who married Charles Edward Nicholson,his brother was Walter.He was more likely serving in W.W.2 than older brother. But I have found no one with initial S.Hence my dilemma.I shall plod on and hope I find him. He most have known to my family why else would she have him included. She met and married a Scot -my Father,so doubt it was a romantic connection.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

"Sgm Nicholson .S Serial # 14220848 # 9 Wireless section. Type P No 2. C/o Main H.Q Section Land forces South East Asia Command Ceylon".
    Dissecting the info and googling

1) " 9 Wireless section. Type P No 2. " brought this site up

https://www.goldbeach.org.uk/yservice/index.html

and this

2) C/o Main H.Q Section Land forces South East Asia Command Ceylon

Maybe this is a nephew by marriage of Mary Dwyer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceylon_Defence_Force

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for that link. Will take a look.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Found

It looks like I finally located my missing Signalman. I found a Stanley Nicholson born Jul 1923 Bury son of my Aunt Nellie [Dwyer] Nicholson and Charles Edward Nicholson. Although I have had no luck with records I Did find one of him returning from Bombay 1947 on Troop ship. So I believe this is him. Thank you all for advice and assistance.

Famous for offering help & advice

Well done - thanks for letting us know!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12