Settling in

Default Cassie of Monquhitter

My grandmother was Mary Cassie (1912-1965) from Monquhitter, married to Lewis Beddie Scott (1909-1978), but I am trying to find details about her father John McKnight Cassie, in particular to identify candidates for his father. I have read somewhere that it was common for children born out of wedlock to be given their father's surname as a middle name, which obviously means I am looking for a McKnight. John's mother was Anne Hepburn Cassie (b.1853), daughter of Alexander Cassie and Mary Phillip.

On the 1891 Census Ann H Cassie, unmarried, age 38 is housekeeper to her brother Robert, head of household.
    Also in the household are John M Cassie, nephew, age 3 and Mary M Cassie, niece, age 0, both born Aberdeenshire.

Scotland's people has the birth registrations of -
    John Mcknight Cassie, 1887, reg. dist New Byth
    Mary Mcgregor Cassie, 1890, New Byth

Not sure how "common" the practice of identifying the supposed father thru' the second, given name was - it certainly did happen - but is young Mary's middle name another instance of this practice?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    On the 1891 Census Ann H Cassie, unmarried, age 38 is housekeeper to her brother Robert, head of household.
    Also in the household are John M Cassie, nephew, age 3 and Mary M Cassie, niece, age 0, both born Aberdeenshire.

Scotland's people has the birth registrations of -
    John Mcknight Cassie, 1887, reg. dist New Byth
    Mary Mcgregor Cassie, 1890, New Byth

Not sure how "common" the practice of identifying the supposed father thru' the second, given name was - it certainly did happen - but is young Mary's middle name another instance of this practice?
    I believe it is. At some point I will have to hunt down the minutes of the Kirk Session for New Byth and see if there is anything in there about Ann being pulled up in front of them for her "moral failings".

For the Kirk Sessions, you need the National Records of Scotland site - see HERE.

Not all Session Records have survived for all sorts of reasons - damp, war, acid ink, etc - but if you get lucky, you should find the father's name and residence at the time of the pregnancy/birth.