Loves to help with queries

Default Marriage at Berrington

Once again I'm struggling to decipher a name from a Berrington marriage image on FMP......the marriage is between Thomas Smith and Katerina ??? which took place on 20 Feb. 1645. Thank you in advance ....... LizzieB

I don't think that the bride's surname is given. The two words before "matrimonio" also appear in some of the entries above the Smith one, and the only time that there's a clue to a bride's name is where her father is mentioned.
    FMP has 3 transcriptions that all seem to refer to this page, and none indicate that there's a surname.

Can't get back to you at the moment Lesley FMP is supposedly down for maintenance but from what I can remember (should have printed the image) the name Katerina is split in two....Kater on one line....ina on the (I think) last line followed by what appears to be (what I thought) was a 3-letter surname.... For what reason wouldn't there be a surname?

Yes, I saw the split name, but look at the entries I mentioned above.

As to why, the brides were (obviously) women... Not important enough to be named fully. As I have just said on another thread, my OPS database has a couple of marriage entries where the bride isn’t named at all!

Knowledgeable and helpful

I suspect the two words between Katherina and matrimonio are 'uxor ejus' which means 'his wife'.

Hard to decipher from the particular entry but, if one looks at entries on the previous page, the two words are written with a little more clarity.

Apparently, the phrase is used in both baptisms and marriages.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/LatinNotes#marriages

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Yes, I saw the split name, but look at the entries I mentioned above.

As to why, the brides were (obviously) women... Not important enough to be named fully. As I have just said on another thread, my OPS database has a couple of marriage entries where the bride isn’t named at all!
    Thanks Lesley.....haven't checked yet but I imagine after 24 hours FMP is up and running again.

Thanks Peter.....FMP should have finished its maintenance by now. Been out of the house all day and have just looked at your and Lesley's replies. First time I have come across this situation.