Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Elizabeth Moyes (nee Hill)

I recently learnt that my 4th great grandmother, Elizabeth Hill, was born in Somerset in 1824. In 1845 she married George Moyes in St Helier, Jersey, and had my 3rd great grandmother, Eliza, before seemingly moving to Canada at some point, where they seem to have had another daughter.

I am looking for details of Elizabeth's parents in Somerset, and also how/why she moved to St Helier.

Do you have the marriage certificate for George Moyes and Elizabeth?
    If not you can order it Here
    The above site also explains the details you can expect to find on the certificate.
    Note that the marriage index here has George's surname as Moyse so use that spelling if you have to order the certificate.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

FMP has the 1871 Census record (ref. RG10 5757 19 3) for -
    Elizabeth Moyse, servant, married, age 44, occpn. servant, born _____? (difficult to read), Somerset

She's working in the household of a William A C Hagemman, professor of Music
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Is this Eliza in 1871 (FMP Census RG10 5759 18 5)
    Eliza Elizabeth Moyse, Servant, unm, age 22, Nurse Maid Domestic, born St. Helier

Re. previous post, wondered if the place name is an attempt to capture East Lyng? Does it start with a "E" and end "ng"?r

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post

Re. previous post, wondered if the place name is an attempt to capture East Lyng? Does it start with a "E" and end "ng"?r
    I think it may be 'England'. The second entry on the page is similar but clearer.

Peter

So if the Elizabeth in 1871 England census is the poster's Elizabeth who had a second child in Canada was it after the 1871 census they emigrated or did they emigrate, return to England and then return to Canada.
    Just wondering and wandering
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Ancestry has a partial image of the marriage entry:

2nd June 1845 St Helier
    George MAYSE 23 bachelor, mason
    Elizabeth HILL 21 spinster

Only the left- hand side of the register has been imaged but the transcription mentions John MAYSE and William HILL, presumably the fathers.

N.B. Whilst the transcript states MAYSE, the handwritten entry looks like MOYSE.

I can only find one baptism For an Elizabeth HILL in Somerset with father's name William:

Elizabeth HILL b. 5th September 1827, baptised 7th October 1827, Halse, Somerset; father, William HILL, labourer; mother, Betty.

If correct, this means Elizabeth was under 18 when she married.

I also think the 1871 Census entry for Elizabeth gives her condition as 'widow'.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Ancestry has a partial image of the marriage entry:
    [B]

I also think the 1871 Census entry for Elizabeth gives her condition as 'widow'.

Peter
    Agreed

There is another thread running re: John Reese and Eliza Moyse.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...nd-Eliza-Moyes
    Alma

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    So if the Elizabeth in 1871 England census is the poster's Elizabeth who had a second child in Canada was it after the 1871 census they emigrated or did they emigrate, return to England and then return to Canada.
    Just wondering and wandering
    Christina
    I believe they emigrated, as they show up in the 1861 Upper Canada census. By 1871 Elizabeth and her daughters are back in Jersey, and I believe George Moyes was dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast