Loves to help with queries

Default marriage look up

Would anyone be able to look up a marriage record for me please. From war service record a William McIntosh (born 1881 Leith to Janet & John) married Ursula Johnston (Ursula spelt lots of ways, and Johnson also used) in Leith on either 12.6.1913 or 12.6.1914. thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The free details available on Scotlands People say the marriage took place at St Andrew's, Edinsburgh in 1914.
    If you want more details then you will have to pay to see the entry in the register.
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Appreciate the date information. Thank you.

Would it be too much trouble for someone to check whether any children were born to William and Ursula after marriage? William returned from WW1 in July 1919. They were living at 16 Sutherland St Edinburgh when he enlisted in in 1915. They are believed to have moved across to Canada to live at some stage. Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I was going to say that you can search for yourself but unfortunately ScotlandsPeople don't have an option to include the mother's maiden name like the civil registration index in England and Wales.

There were some McIntosh birth registrations in Leith North and Leith South between 1914 and 1930 but I didn't study the names or dates.

Baptisms in church records for Edinburgh gave me nil results.

I think you might need to try and find William and Ursula in emigration records, a Canadian census, and/or possible death records for them. You have a year of birth for William, and if you've purchased the marriage certificate you'll have an approximate year of birth for Ursula.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam, yes I have struggled to search in Scotland. I am from NSW Aust, where easy records have probably spoilt me. I have Ursula's birth cert, Williams date of birth and their marriage from the war record. I have unsuccessfully searched for emigration and looked at Canada. Anyway thank you for responding and checking the baptism records which had been where I had hoped something would show.

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you checked the death record in Edinburgh of Ursula McIntosh, other surname Johnston, died 1932 age 57? Ref 685/1 90 Haymarket RD from Scotland's people

Also if you look in the free search of McIntosh deaths with mother's maiden name Johnston in Midlothian there are 7 records showing . These have the potential to be children of William and Ursula but you would need to look at the full record to find out.

Thanks Grisel, for the death record. Urusla was born 1874 so the date is good. Appreciate that you checked further. Family always believed she moved across to Canada but may be not. I check if they want to buy this death cert.