Settling in

Default John Reese and Eliza Moyes

I am looking for information about John Reese and Eliza Moyse, who met and got married on Jersey prior to moving to Somerset around 1880/1881.

I know that John Reese was born in Minden, Westphalia in 1833 (possibly 1830), his parents apparently being Wilhelm Friedrich Christian Reese and Caroline Charlotte Steineke, based on other trees I have seen.

At some point he left Minden, and joined the British Army - he was in the 61st Regiment of Foot, later the Glosters, and ended up on Jersey as a military pensioner, which is where he met Eliza (1848-1933), daughter of George Moyes and Elizabeth Hill.

While on Jersey they married and had their first three children on the island, all in St Helier, including my great great grandfather George (b. 26/9/1873).

I believe the family moved to England because John was caught embezzling from his employer, one Thomas Brooks of Burrard St, see attachment from the Supplement To The Jersey Weekly Press and Independent, dated April 26th 1879.

If anyone has information on the court proceedings, more info on Eliza Moyse background, and how John came to be on Jersey I would really appreciate it.

It could be that Eliza and her parents emigrated to Canada. Elizabeth, Eliza and another dau, Cecelia migrated back to the UK. I haven't found George in UK 1871 census and Elizabeth is entered as a widow, maybe George died in Canada.

1861, Canada West, Wentworth.
    Geo Moyes, 27??? mason, born England
    Elizth Moyes, England
    Eliza Moyes 13, Jersey
    ???? dau Moyes, 4, U.C. (Celia from 1871 census?)

1871, Jersey, St Helier.
    A John Reese 38, Chelesea pensioner born Germany, British subject, and Celia Moyes 14, dressmaker's apprentice born West Canada are both lodgers at 75, Great Union Rd. RG10; Piece: 5758; Folio: 8; Page: 6;
    Alma

1871, St Helier. RG10; Piece: 5757; Folio: 19; Page: 3
    William A C Hagemann 58
    Augusta L W Hagemann 60
    Agnes J E Hagemann 26
    Charlotta Hagemann 44
    Elizabeth Moyse 44
    Elizabeth Moyes, widower, 44, general servant, born Somerset

I've just found a tree on Ancestry with these folks on, it looks on first glance a reasonably well researched tree. Do you have a subscription with Ancestry? The tree name is: Reece Family Tree.
    Alma

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    1871, St Helier. RG10; Piece: 5757; Folio: 19; Page: 3
    William A C Hagemann 58
    Augusta L W Hagemann 60
    Agnes J E Hagemann 26
    Charlotta Hagemann 44
    Elizabeth Moyse 44
    Elizabeth Moyes, widower, 44, general servant, born Somerset

I've just found a tree on Ancestry with these folks on, it looks on first glance a reasonably well researched tree. Do you have a subscription with Ancestry? The tree name is: Reece Family Tree.
    My father has a subscription, I will run it by him and see if he is aware of these folks.

FindMyPast has 2 single sheet records for John Reese-

St. Helier Gaol
    Rec'd into custody- 9 Apr 1879, Offence - Theft, Tried - 10 May 1879, Verdict of Jury - Guilty, Sentence - 1 year hard labour

There's a snippet in The Star (Guernsey), 12 Apr 1879 and the Jersey Independent 26 April 1879 - but cannot spot anything re. the court case 10th May.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FindMyPast has 2 single sheet records for John Reese-

St. Helier Gaol
    Rec'd into custody- 9 Apr 1879, Offence - Theft, Tried - 10 May 1879, Verdict of Jury - Guilty, Sentence - 1 year hard labour

There's a snippet in The Star (Guernsey), 12 Apr 1879 and the Jersey Independent 26 April 1879 - but cannot spot anything re. the court case 10th May.
    Thanks for that! I knew he had been accused but wasn't sure what the outcome was. It would certainly explain why they move to Somerset in 1880/81.

Couldn't find a newspaper report of the court case searching under variations of "Reese, Reece, Rees etc" but did find a report (searching under the name of the employer he defrauded) in the Jersey Independent & Daily Telegraph, Sat 17 May 1879.
    The prosecution wanted a sentence of 18 months hard labour. His defence pleaded this was too harsh - his offence was not in the same league as the offender the prosecution tried to compare him with, he was a father of 4, the eldest of whom was not yet 5 and he was going to lose his Sergeant's army pension of £20 pa.
    Condemned to 1 years imprisonment with hard labour.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"