Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Henry Simon LAZARUS Whitchurch and Prestwich

I'm trying to sort out confusing census information re Henry Simon LAZARUS and his BARNETT son-in-law and grandchildren. I'm posting what I think is relevant to my questions, which are near the end of this post.

Henry Simon LAZARUS’s father may have been Simon Lazarus, a cheese factor of Whitchurch who made payments to the Manchester Synagogue (Making of the Manchester Jewry).

According to combined information of the 1841 and 1861 census records and GRO death registration, Henry Simon Lazarus was born in Poland c. 1784 – 1791. He lived in Whitchurch, Shropshire, (newspaper notices; births of his daughters according to census records), but was later the sexton of the Bury New Road Cemetery in Prestwich, Manchester. He died in London Aug 17 1868 at Fenchurch Street Station Western Times - Tuesday 25 August 1868).
    HSL’s will was probated by his daughter Priscilla, wife of Adolf Cohen (Mary Priscilla, born Whitchurch c. 1819 m. Adolf Cohen in Whitchurch 17 May, 1840 – wedding described in various newspapers.)

I’ve found census entries for HSL for 1841 and 1861. There is a 1851 census entry that may be related to him, but the information is confusing. The census information is as follows (taken from Ancestry.ca; transcription corrections are in brackets):

1841 Census
    [Henry Simon Lazarus] Tailor
    birth year: abt 1791
    Where born: Foreign Parts

[Mary Lazarus]
    Estimated birth year: abt 1786
    Where born: Foreign Parts

[Eliza Lazarus]
    Estimated birth year: abt 1826

Name: Lazarus Barnett
    N[ot born Lancashire]
    Estimated birth year: abt 1840

1851 Census:
    I haven’t been able to find an 1851 for Henry S(imon) Lazarus, but the Whellan and Co’s 1852 Directory of Manchester has an entry for Simon Henry Lazarus, sexton, Bury New Road Cemetery.

1861 Census:
    address: Bury New Road Cemetery
    Name: Henry S Lazarus sexton of Jews Cemetery
    Estimated Birth Year: 1784
    Relation: Head
    Where born: Poland

Name: Amelia Lazarus
    Estimated Birth Year: 1785
    Relation: Wife
    Where born: Poland

Margaret Oakes 13 servant

Note: I have found no evidence that a Mary Lazarus died, or that HSL married an Amelia between the
    1841 and 1861 censuses; are Mary and Amelia the same woman?

(Note: There was a Henry S(amuel) Lazarus, a tin plate worker and tea urn manufacturer. He married three times one of those being wives a Mary Amelia. This is a different couple! His other wives were Charlotte and Eliza Jane. Don't let this man confuse you!)

I have found this 1851 census (info taken from the digital image):

Address: Jewish Cemetery (Prestwich, Lancashire)
    Samuel Lazarus Occupation: sexton
    age 58 (born c.1793)
    Head
    born Poland

Amelia Lazarus
    age 64 (born c. 1787)
    Wife
    born Poland

[Oranto] Barnett [named is transcribed as Oronto; neither version seems to be a real name, maybe it’s something else]
    age 12
    grandson
    born London, Middlesex

[Leopold] Barnett
    age 10
    grandson
    born London, Middlesex

Hannah Barnett
    age 8 [very difficult to read age as has dash through it, but a close examination suggests 8]
    granddaughter
    born Prestwich

Observations re the above census records and directory entry:
    Mary and Amelia’s birth information correspond.
    Henry Simon Lazarus and Samuel Lazarus were both recorded as sexton of the cemetery at Preswich, but ages don’t match. (Was Samuel, eg, a brother of Henry, filling in for him at the time of the census and the relationship information got muddled?)
    There are BARNETT children in both the 1841 and 1851 census.

According to a news item about a Whitchurch wedding (Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 25 August 1838 A Jewish Wedding), “The lady is S. C. Lazarus, well known in this town; the gentleman (Mr. Z. Barnett) is from London.”
    The bride’s first name was Sarah. In 1851 Census she is married and with the household of her brother-in-law Joseph Slazenger MOSS, her sister Eliza [Wife] (born Whitchurch) and her sister Mary Priscilla COHEN (married; born London). No BARNETT children are present.

Questions:
    * Where was Henry Simon Lazarus at the time of the 1851 census?
    * Are Mary and Amelia (wife/wives in the scensuses) the same women?
    * Who is Samuel Lazarus in the 1851 census (is Amelia really his wife)?
    *Who was Z. BARNETT who married S(arah) C Lazarus? (I haven’t found him anywhere.)
    *Who are all the BARNETT children – Lazarus, Oranto(?), Leopold, Hannah? 1844

I can’t find the BARNETT kids GRO birth records, nor find them in other census records.
    BARNETT/LAZARUS I have found in the GRO records:
    1842 David City of London Union
    1843 Adeline Anna Manchester
    1849 Hannah Whitechapel
    1850 Leah Whitechapel

None of these births match up with the census entries

These can be excluded because they belong to one of my LAZARUS relations (Caroline Lazarus married Abraham Barnett in Exeter, 1838)
    1841 Eve City of London Union
    1844 Montague “”
    1848 Eleazer “”

Any help answering my questions will be much appreciated.

I have just seen your post of 2018. I have information about Sarah Charlotte Lazarus and Zacharia John Barnett and their children - Percy Arthur, Flora Marion and Evelyn Eve Barnett which I am happy to share with you if you are still interested. These children were born in 1858, 1860 and 1863 respectively. If you are still interested I am happy to share all the information that I have, including birth, marriage and death certificates.

Pat Cox

Hi Pat, Thanks for your reply. Do you know anything about Sarah Charlotte's parents and the 1851 census entries with the confusing names? (I've posted them in my original query above.)
    Eve

Quote Originally Posted by Eve Mary View Post
    Hi Pat, Thanks for your reply. Do you know anything about Sarah Charlotte's parents and the 1851 census entries with the confusing names? (I've posted them in my original query above.)
    Eve
    Hi Eve Mary,
    I started of researching Percy Arthur Barnett because the Jewish Chronicle said that he was half-brother of my G Grandfather John Howard. Not that I have managed to confirm this relationship yet.

Percy Arthur Barnett was born in 1858 in East Stonehouse, Devon. His father was listed on the
    BC as John Beryl Barnett and his mother as Sarah Charlotte Barnett nee Lazarus.
    A sister Lily Flora Marion Barnett was born in 1861 in Kentish Town , London and that was where they were living at the time of the 1861 Census.
    Another sister Evelyn Eve was born in Jan 1863 at Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester. Both their BCs list their father as Zacharia John Barnett.

I have not been able to find any marriage records apart from the 1838 Whitchurch wedding that you have listed. The gap between marriage and any records that I can find for children seems too long. But there is a separate connection to the 1851 Census record for Sarah Barnett.

Percy Barnett married an Annie Beeching in 1888. They had a daughter Charis Ursula Barnett in 1892 and a son Denis Oliver in 1896. The son died in WW1 in 1915 but Charis married Sydney Solomon Frankenburg (b1881 d.1935)in 1918.
    Sydney Frankenburg was Charis Barnett's cousin. He was the Grandson of Eliza Lazarus who married Joseph Isaac Slazenger Moss in about 1842. Their daughter Frances Anne Slazenger Moss married Isador Frankenburg in 1872.

Also when Sarah Barnett (Lazarus) died on 3rd June 1879 in Ramsgate aged 58 years, there was a notice in the Jewish Chronicle on 20th June 1879 which said
    "Mrs J Slazeugh Moss and Mrs A Cohen return thanks for visits, letters and cards of condolence received during the week of mourning for their late beloved sister - Beech House, Broom Lane, Hogher Broughton, Manchester."
    Zacharia John Barnett died on 15 April 1879 aged 74 years at the London Hospital.

I hope this useful. I am happy to try to answer any other queries and if it helps I can invite you to view the information that I have on Ancestry.
    Pat Cox

Hi Pat,

I have to work through all the information you've posted here. Thanks very much. I'm distantly related to the LAZARUS family of Henry Simon Lazarus via Marcus Slazenger MOSS, a son of Eliza Lazarus and Joseph Isaac Slazenger Moss. Marcus Slazenger Moss married Kate DRUIFF in 1872. She was born in Plymouth, Devon, in 1846. The DRUIFF family(ies) were intermarried different ways with my Lazarus family of Exeter and Plymouth.

(A first cousin of my Lazarus grandmother was also engaged to one of the Slazenger Mosses, but he broke off the engagement and I can't remember which one it was. I don't know if this came about because of family connections or only because they mixed in the same social circles in London.)

I don't know if there was any direct relationship between Henry Simon Lazarus and my Lazarus tribe. He was born in Poland well after Moses Lazarus had settled in Devon and begun his own family in Exeter, so the connection is likely coincidental. But I'd still like to get some details sorted out.

The 1851 Census is confusing (hence my original post). Instead of Simon Lazarus, sexton, and wife Mary living at the Jewish Cemetery there are Samuel Lazarus (sexton) and Amelia. Putting various bits and pieces together (including 1852 directory entries for Henry Simon Lazarus, Sexton, Bury New Road, that I found today) I've realised that Samuel was likely an error for Simon and that Mary also went by the name of Amelia. (In fact, I think she must be Mindele Lazarus who died in 1863, the only possible GRO death record I've found for Mary/Amelia.)
    What I haven't figured out are who the grandchildren with 'Samuel' and Amelia Lazarus are at the time of the 1851 Census. They're recorded with the surname BARNETT, so I assumed they were children of Sarah Charlotte Lazarus and Zachariah John BARNETT, but I can't find them in the birth records. According to the census they
    are:
    Oranto [as near as I can read it - transcribed on Ancestry as Orsanto], male, age 12, born London
    Leopold, age 10, male, born London
    Hanna, age 8, Female, born Prestwich [possibly BARNETT, ADELINE ANNA LAZARUS
    GRO Reference: 1843 J Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 20 Page 706]

I'm guessing that Leopold of the 1851 Census is Lazarus Barnett (not born Lancashire) who was with Henry Simon and Mary Lazarus in 1841.

Do you know who those BARNETT (grand)children are? Please excuse me if it's staring me right in the face. I am often brain-fogged these days.

If you want more info about any of the people I've mentioned above, please let me know.

Eve

Hi Eve
    I don't want to muddy the waters on this thread but could you please look at the recent thread I have written on Adolphe Saalfeld who married Gertrude Lazarus in 1888. This was her 2nd marriage. She is the daughter of Moses Lazarus of Exeter and Rebecca Schultz- they are ID 16811 and 16816 on Cemetery Scribes. Are they part of your lines and if so, could you please post on the Adolphe Saalfeld thread.
    Many thanks.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Hi Eve,
    The 1851 Census I was referring to was the return for 85 Market St, Manchester. Head was Joseph Slazenger Moss, his wife Eliza aged 28, their children but also Sarah Barnett and 30years - sister in law and Mary Priscilla Cohen aged 32, sister in law. It is possible the the 3 Barnett grandchildren living with Samuel and Amelia Lazarus in 1851 in Manchester are John and Sarah's children. There ages would be right for a marriage in 1838.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Howardfamily View Post
    Hi Eve,
    The 1851 Census I was referring to was the return for 85 Market St, Manchester. Head was Joseph Slazenger Moss, his wife Eliza aged 28, their children but also Sarah Barnett and 30years - sister in law and Mary Priscilla Cohen aged 32, sister in law. It is possible the the 3 Barnett grandchildren living with Samuel and Amelia Lazarus in 1851 in Manchester are John and Sarah's children. There ages would be right for a marriage in 1838.
    Pat
    Yes, I agree that they'd be children of John and Sarah. I've found proof in a Marriage notice that Leonard Lazarus Barnett was one person and John's second son, but the one who seems to be recorded as Oranto/Osanto remains a mystery. That doesn't appear to be a real name and I can find no birth record that is an obvious fit. But I assume you have no information on these kids.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Eve
    I don't want to muddy the waters on this thread but could you please look at the recent thread I have written on Adolphe Saalfeld who married Gertrude Lazarus in 1888. This was her 2nd marriage. She is the daughter of Moses Lazarus of Exeter and Rebecca Schultz- they are ID 16811 and 16816 on Cemetery Scribes. Are they part of your lines and if so, could you please post on the Adolphe Saalfeld thread.
    Many thanks.
    Hi Phil,
    Sure, go ahead and muddy my post. I didn't know about this second marriage. Yes, Gertrude is one of "my" Exeter Lazarus tribe. I'm related to her various ways. What would you like me to add to the Adolphe Saalfeld thread? Please, not everything and not in all your wonderfully referenced detail.

I have just found this article about the Jewish Cemetery, Bury New Rd https://prestwich.org.uk/history/saints/jewishcem.html

It says that Henry Simon Lazarus had a Grandson Horatio Lazarus Barnett who was a merchant in Manila and was awarded the Imperial Order of Charles 111 by Spain in 1870. There is a small notice in the Jewish Chronicle 7.10.1870. Oranto could be a mis-recording of Horatio.
    Pat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast