Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for info about Mary Agnes Sullivan

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me find birth and parentage information for Mary Agnes Sullivan who was born about 1836 in Patter, Pembrokeshire. I can't find her Christening/Baptism records online.

I have her in the 1861 to 1891 census returns living with her husband, Daniel Heaton, whom she married in Lancaster on 15th September 1855. Her father's name was John Sullivan and he was a Labourer at the time of her marriage.

Mary may, or may not, have had sisters by the names of Ann and Jane, so finding her in the 1841 and 1851 census returns would be very useful.

The census details I have are: RG9 Piece 3141 Folio 31 Page 5, RG10 Piece 3966 Folio 147 Page 82, RG11 Piece 4205 Folio 37 Page 5, and RG12 Piece 3414 Folio 145 Page 41.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Phil.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don’t understand how you have arrived at her place of birth, if for no other reason than there is, to my knowledge at least, no such place.

Taking the 1861 census reference that you have providing Mary Heaton’s place of birth in 1837 is listed at Patton, Shropshire, and then in the 1871 census it is given as 1837 in Durham, in 1881 she says that she was born in 1837 in Lancaster and finally in 1891 she says 1837, Lancaster.

Dundee10

I am seeing:

Pembroke, Patte--

Wales, Pelt--

1881 and 1891
    Lancashire, Lancaster

I am going to have to eat a huge slice of humble pie because Dundee10 is quite right about the 1861 and 1871 census. I made the schoolgirl error of relying on Findmypast's transcriptions rather than looking that the original pages. Naughty me and a lesson to one and all, though how on earth they came up with those transcriptions we shall leave to others to ascertain.

Based on the above I think that she was probably born around Pembroke Dock, which is sometimes referred to as Paterchurch - see this website link for an explanation:
    https://www.sunderlandtrust.com/about-us/brief-history/

I haven’t been able to find a baptism for Mary Agnes, but I did find a baptism for an Anne Sullivan on the 24 April 1833 at St. Michael, Pembroke, the daughter of John & Mary Sullivan. He was a labourer and was living in a house called “Freleat”. This is the only baptism of a child of John & Mary that I could find in Pembrokeshire.

On 14 April 1831 a John Sullivan married a Mary Bevan at Steynton Parish Church. They were both unmarried and said to be from that parish, and marriage was by licence. One of the witnesses was a Stephen Bevan. Steynton is not far from Milford Haven, and is the other side of the water from Pembroke Dock.

I've searched and better searched for Mary Agnes with no luck. I think it worth mentioning this family in 1871, frustratingly I cannot find them in earlier censuses. I wonder if Mary Agnes belongs to the family.

Steynton, Milford. RG10; Piece: 5522; Folio: 47; Page: 10;
    Alice Smith 60, head, widow of marine store dealer, Ireland
    Alice Sullivan 23, dau, Milford
    Eliza Sullivan 21, dau, Milford
    Mary Ann Paynter 25, boarder, Haverfordwest
    Polly Aldershot 40, boarder, Ireland
    Alma

I see in the 1861 census living with Daniel and Mary is.....
    Margaret Sullivan, 77, I can't make out her birth place it's a shire followed by Newton, I think
    Ann Sullivan, 73, Leicestershire
    Jane Sullivan, 10, Ulverston, Lancashire
    All are unmarried and described as sisters in law.

Have you tried searching other censuses for them?
    Alma

This looks like Jane's birth reg.
    SULOVON, JANE, Mother's maiden name GANIAR
    GRO Reference: 1851 J Quarter in ULVERSTONE UNION Volume 25 Page 255
    Alma

Loves to help with queries

Margaret 77 in 1861 is Montgomery, Newtown. That is mystifying if she is a sister to Mary [Agnes].

Dundee10

I think that the enumerator has just made a dog's breakfast of transcribing the ages and the first '7' in each age should be a '1', so they are aged 17 and 13.

SULOVON, MARGARET
    Mother's maiden surname: GAINERY
    GRO Reference: 1843 D Quarter in NEWTOWN AND LLANIDLOES Volume 27 Page 137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast