Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Illegitimate births 1911 onwards

OK, I know I'm more than a little dim, so please bear with me.

I am told that in the birth records on the GRO website, if there is a dash/blank space where the mother's maiden name should be, that will most probably (always ?) indicate an illegitimate birth. On the FreeBMD website when I look at births after, I think, 1911 (?) and it includes mother's maiden names, there is, as far as I can see, never a blank space. So my simple question is, what does this mean ? Obviously there were still illegitimate births after 1911.

Hi
    Do you have an example of an illegitimate birth we can look at?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Do you have an example of an illegitimate birth we can look at?
    Christina
    you mean what I think is an illegitimate birth after 1911 ?

well I'm told - but only through family hearsay - that Bernard Radford, born Wandsworth district 1918, was illegitimate. I don't have his birth certificate, he is in the birth index, volume 1d, page 655 with mother's maiden name also Radford.

You agree with me that there were illegitimate births after 1911 ? - my point is how can you tell from FreeBMD that they are illegitimate ? in the way that you can tell in the GRO Index ?

perhaps I have been misinformed. What does it mean when there is no mother's maiden name shown in a birth record in the GRO index ?

this is what I mean by the FreeBMD website
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Growing old Disgracefully

Illegitimate children do not have a father's name so one will not be on the certificate

For instance (I know for a fact this child is Illegitimate)
    Births Dec 1966
    MOSS xxxxxxxxxxx MOSS WINDSOR 6A 375.
    surname mothers name.

Now if you think a Mr. Moss married a Miss Moss you go look for a Marriage for them or if you find more children with the same surname you go look for a marriage.

Now a days Father's name is only put on if they go to register the child with the mother, as the father had probably done a runner by the time the child is born, the child don't get his name.

If the childs father marries the mother after the child is born they can then apply to have the fathers name added to the certifate.

Reputation beyond repute

The "new" GRO index on the GRO site does not include 1918!!!!!

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    you mean what I think is an illegitimate birth after 1911 ?

well I'm told - but only through family hearsay - that Bernard Radford, born Wandsworth district 1918, was illegitimate. I don't have his birth certificate, he is in the birth index, volume 1d, page 655 with mother's maiden name also Radford.

You agree with me that there were illegitimate births after 1911 ? - my point is how can you tell from FreeBMD that they are illegitimate ? in the way that you can tell in the GRO Index ?
    Is there a marriage between a Radford and Radford if the answer is no then he's Illegitimate

Reputation beyond repute

Illegitimate children do not have a father's name so one will not be on the certificate

This is not so.

A father's name may be shown on a birth certificate even if the birth was illegitimate.. In the old index this would be indexed under both surnames.

Reputation beyond repute

Is there a marriage between a Radford and Radford if the answer is no then he's Illegitimate
    Is it the heat?

The index quotes the mother's maiden name. If it's the mother's second marriage, she will have married under her married name.

1. Jane RADFORD married John SMITH
    2. Jane SMITH married James RADFORD
    3. Child born, mmn=RADFORD

Knowledgeable and helpful

The following are the FreeBMD results for my mother, aunts & uncle, they were all illegitimate as their father was already married but his (legally) separated wife would not give him a divorce. They did not marry until 1934 after the death of his first wife.

Phoebe Hilda Guy born 1912
    Guy
    *Phoebe H
    *Berrey
    *Christchurch
    *2b
    Father & mother registered the birth with their full details including surnames Guy & Berrey

Anita Elizabeth Guy born 1915
    BERREY
    *Anita E
    *Berrey
    *Christchurch
    *2b
    Father & mother registered the birth with their full details including surnames Guy & Berrey

John Percy Hugh Guy born 1919
    Guy
    *John P H
    *Berrey
    *Hastings
    *2b
    Father registered the birth claiming mother formerly Berrey

Mary Margaret Guy born 1922
    Guy
    *Mary M
    *Berrey
    *Wantage
    *2c
    Father registered the birth claiming mother formerly Berrey

Don’t rely on indications from indexes buy the certificates and look for a marriage.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast