Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Default Hindon Street,Pimlico

Could a member help me on the following.
    Searching the records I came across a relative on the 1881 census for Alice Booth listed as head of house (aged 10) living at 22 Hindon Street, St Peter,Pimlico, St George Hanover Square.
    The census lists out her siblings plus a housekeeper.
    At this time the Mother had died and the father was working in Shrewsbury as a cabinet maker.
    My question is, what type of housing was Hindon street, was it your run of the mill terraced housing, or something better. I am trying to put into persepsctive the housing, for the pictures I have seen of the area they are of the grand type.

Thanks in advance

Famous for offering help & advice

with a bit of googling, a pub history website tells me that between 1866 and about 1910, The Prince of Wales pub now with address 91 Wilton Road, Pimlico was 27 Hindon Street and that "Hindon Street is now the higher numbered premises in Wilton Road". Using google streetview I've just "walked" down Wilton Road and there isn't any original housing at all. The pub is on the corner of Longmoore Street where houses look like this

going south Wilton Road becomes Denbigh Street where houses look like this

sorry, those pictures came out bigger than I expected !

Thank you wimsey for your quick reply the photos and the information are very much appreciated. I think I will guess that the first type of house you sent would be the type that the family lived in.

why not be ambitious - you're just a stone's throw from Ecclestone Square, Pimlico, where houses look like this

HaHa,now your talking, certainly would not like a mortgage on one of those.
    An aside to this, as families talk about their history, we were led to believe that they came from Eaton Place? the 1881 census states Hindon street, being a northerner and never ventured past Watford Gap services does that area exist and if it does is that in Pimlico?.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Wycherley View Post
    HaHa,now your talking, certainly would not like a mortgage on one of those.
    An aside to this, as families talk about their history, we were led to believe that they came from Eaton Place? the 1881 census states Hindon street, being a northerner and never ventured past Watford Gap services does that area exist and if it does is that in Pimlico?.
    Come on, Geoff, I know it's hot but engage brain.
    WImsey's already mentioned google streetview (I believe other streetviews are available) so how about looking for Eaton Place? And you definitely wouldn't be able to afford even a bijou studio flat there today.

And, yes, it is in/near Pimlico. See Wikipedia.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

not sure about Eaton Place. I don't know why I'm pretending to be a London expert, I'm not sure where Pimlico ends and Belgravia starts - I think they are basically either side of the railway lines that lead into Victoria Station. Belgravia has the likes of Eaton Square (very very upmarket), Eaton Terrace, Eaton Mews etc. There is an Eaton Place, officially I would think Belgravia, with similar buildings to Ecclestone Square.

Eaton Place, Belgravia

whether there is/was a separate Eaton Place, Pimlico I'm not sure

[hope I haven't broken any photo house rules] - don't know why these screenshots look a bit washed out

Thank you Wimsey for your help, when it comes to the London area I have not got a clue, as I said I have never been south of Watford Gap, must get out more.

Oh Pam,what can I say, yes the heat is getting at me, age is getting me befuddled, its the servants half day off, the bath chair wants repositioning and there's nobody to do it, life is getting hard. haha

Thank you both for your help and guidance,as alway very much appreciated.

of course if, like me, you had ancestors who were in service to the gentry and "living-in" so-to-speak then you can have very grand addresses. One of my great-grandmothers was housekeeper to a member of parliament at his constituency address (he had other addresses) - the 1911 census page couldn't fit all the servants names on so she appears on a page on her own, making it look like she was the sole occupant in a 21-room house.

A very interesting thought,I will look further into that and see what turns up

Thanks again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast