Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry, me again. Just in case anyone is interested besides me - the application for the demolition of 52-73 and new residential and commercial development was refused and then appealed, and the appeal was unsuccessful.

on Nov 10, 2021 Westminster Council committee decided by a 2-1 vote to refuse planning permission to an application to redevelop 52-73 Wilton Road. It was refused on the grounds that "the height, bulk and design of the application would cause unacceptable harm to the local townscape"."

There's a 4 hour video of the proceedings on YT if anyone is interested .

So I guess the pizza and patisserie are still there.

Famous for offering help & advice

well done, great detective work.

I think if Wilton Road was so named in 1901 that might have blown out of the water what I said at the beginning of this thread about it originally being Hindon Street.

I just googled for views of Wilton Road and there are a couple of photos apparently dated c.1910 showing rows of shops with awnings.

I notice that Patisserie Valerie says "established 1926" on its signage but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that it was established at that location.

(crossposted with your message just now)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    Yes, I think I've seen the pics you mention. I alsohave Booth's Poverty Map 1889, and Wilton St. started at the top east side of Victoria Station to Gillingham Street, and from Gillingham south to Warwick Street it was Hindon. But in the later censuses, it seems to be all Wilton Road. But part of that stretch might have been Hindon Court, Winton Road. The grocery shop seems to be at #54 in the 1881 and 1891 census, and in 1871 it seems it was a shoemaker.

Just up the road towards the top of the station is the Apollo Victoria theatre where I saw Starlight Express and also Cliff Richard's 25th Anniversary concerts in 1983/84. I lived in London from 83 to 89.

It's all very fun as I do know London fairly well, And also, doing the London bit is so different from doing a Suffolk villages where this fellow an my grandfather were from. I've got the family in Suffolk back to 1500s (not all verified ) and also, still have family (3rd cousin) in the village where my grandfather was born. I've visited several times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123