Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Charles Booth's map of London 1992

https://booth.lse.ac.uk/map/17/-0.1415/51.4934/100/0

Hindon Street centre screen (running roughly north/south)

Click on legend
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Charles Booth's map of London 1992

https://booth.lse.ac.uk/map/17/-0.1415/51.4934/100/0

Hindon Street centre screen (running roughly north/south)

Click on legend
    Put Hindon Street, so it's on the bottom of your computer screen, just under two inches in from the right hand side if you have a 15inch screen.
    Once the butler's passed you your specs, if you look towards the top left of the screen and you should see
    Eaton Place.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

You can click on "Notebooks" at top of map and search for "Hindon Street" (include " " as part of search key))
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Thank you very much for the map link, found the street

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Ah Pam, your timing was impecable, Charles had just returned from his half day off(the things you have allow when you have staff)
    Found street, however I did have to convert 15" screen to 24" screen I never thought a lograthim book could be so useful, haha
    (an aside, we were taught many moons ago lograthims, were never told what they would be used for, all the years I have worked they have never cropped up, but they did do this conversion for me)
    Very nice to hear from you again

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Actually Geoff, I think if I'd just written 'put Hindon Street so it's on the bottom of your computer screen fairly near to the right-hand corner and then move in a north-westerly direction' it would have (a) saved Charles having to pass the specs and (b) you having to go back to the classroom.

I just put 'logarithm' into a search engine to check the spelling and one of the first options I was offered was 'logarithms for dummies'. Yep, that's the one I want. (I gave up after the first sentence in Wikipedia. ) I remember that the log books were the only aid we were allowed in maths exams. Long multiplication and long division ruled in those days. Sorry, I digress. I'll go and get my rather late lunch . . . . . . .

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    with a bit of googling, a pub history website tells me that between 1866 and about 1910, The Prince of Wales pub now with address 91 Wilton Road, Pimlico was 27 Hindon Street and that "Hindon Street is now the higher numbered premises in Wilton Road".
    Hello Wimsey, I see this post was a few years ago, I hope you're still around. I have a question about Wilton Rd, perhaps you can help me. A relative lived at 53 Wilton Road in 1901. The head of the household was the manager (not owner) of a grocery shop. He was 39 yrs old and there were 3 men in their 20's not related, who were assistants in the shop, and one of them was my granduncle who came to Canada in 1906, with his brother, my great grandfather.

I've been looking at Google maps, which as you said, has changed a lot. I've also looked at Booth's Poverty Map of 1889, which shows Hindon St, which, in 1901 would be Wilton Road. Are you able to tell me what might have been at 53 ? I'm thinking it might have been the shop on street level, and the workers living above. Something I found makes me think that the Patisserie Valerie at 54 Wilton Rd might have been where 53 was too ? Any help greatly appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

hello Eastclif

are you saying your relative's address on the 1901 census is "53 Wilton Road" or was it X Hindon Street which you have worked out is now 53 Wilton Road ?

looking at streetview the building which now contains Patisserie Valerie certainly looks (in contrast to almost everything around it) an "original" building which could have been there in 1901.

One thing that springs to mind is that 53 and 54 Wilton Road might be on opposite sides of the road (i.e. odd numbers one side, even numbers the other side)

If no building or business in Wilton Road is now numbered 54 then the Patisserie building may well be a combined address of 53/4. Sorry not to give a definitive answer.
    Wilton Road has clearly altered out of all recognition to what it was in 1901 but there are some original buildings.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Wimsey

Since my message earlier today, I have found more information.
    First of all, the address in 1901 was 53 Wilton Road. Today I found a 2019 archeological assessment of the property "52&54 to 73 Wilton Road' for the purposes of redevelopment, and in that there is a diagram showing the road, marking the relevant area, and there are several odd numbers shown.

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/sites...Assessment.pdf

I also found an approval of the redevelopment proposal, and it says '52 to 73 Wilton Road'. The plans include
    "A vibrant mix of uses including new residential units and high quality, flexible office space; and Retail, restaurants and cafes at ground floor - designed for smaller independent operators".

So, with 52 and 54 on the pic in the archeology report, I know there was a 53 there at some point. And I think it's safe to say that the pizza place 52 and the patisserie 54 each have a piece of 53 between them

I searched the address on the 1939 Register, and I could only fid 54, and it seemed to be a multi-dwelling structure. The spaces above that on the register were closed. I'm going to look for the address on the 1911 census and see what's there.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quick update. All the searching got me a bit confused. My ancestor was actually at 54 Wilton Road, not 53. I've managed to find the following info for 1901.

51/52 was some sort of office
    53 was a chemist
    54 my grand-uncle, I'm assuming was a greengrocer
    55 was a hairdresser.

So, 54 is currently the Patisserie Valerie according to Google maps. And it's either demolished already or will be soon for the new residential/ commercial project approved in 2019. This will fill up from 52-73 Wilton Road.

As it's grand-uncle I'm chasing and not a grandfather, I think I've discovered as much as I need to know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast