I am currently researching my 3xGGfather Stephen Callen, also spelled Callon, who was a seaman and coastguard, born in Tenby about 1781-1788 (most likely 1787), Wales and married to Susannah Webb (nee Howell) of St Issells, Wales in 1818. He went to sea as a boy and gained his seaman's ticket. He possibly was in the RN at some stage. He became a coastguard and was posted to various places around the Medway/Thames estuary and Isle of Sheppey and then south wales (at Tenby) and Ireland (Cork and elsewhere) being discharged on a pension in 1849. He had five sons, John, Stephen, William, Thomas and Henry. John is my ancestor. He may have had brothers Stephen and John. He lived in Sheerness, Kent and died there. I have some of his coastguard records, marriage banns, death certificate but no birth certificate, as it is too early. His birth may be recorded in some parish records, though I have not been able to find anything online. There is no record of his parents. Witnesses at his marriage were Charles Child and William Harries. The latter may have been a relative as the name is also common around St Issells, as is Callen, and both were probably former shipmates. I want to find out more about his family and parents. My grandmother had a story about him rescuing people from wrecks and apprehending smugglers. Stephen retired as a Superintendant Coastguard.
I am also interested in his wife's family whose parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Howell. She was previously married to Walter William Webb in 1812.
I am also interested in the Levy family of Sheerness, who were Jewish. They came from London and moved to the docks at Sheerness for work. They were pawnbrokers, dealers and outfitters.