Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Thomas Hurst help needed WW2

Can anyone help i am trying to find WW2 info for my great granddad Thomas Hurst he was born 8 APR 1892 Salford, Lancashire we have army record for WW1 1915-1920 he was with the 23rd & 11th Manchester regiment Enlistment Age 22 Residence Place 1 Didsbury Street, Eccles New Road Salford
    Regimental Number 22881.

We have a photo of him sometime during WW2 in a army uniform attached below but cant find any record or info of it on Ancestry, or forces war record he is the gentleman on the right not sure of the uniform and who with he still lived at Didsbury street can anyone help.

Last edited by jen1302; 01-08-2018 at 2:12 AM. Reason: missing info

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

In the 1939 register, he is in Salford, with a Jeanne Hurst.

Have you looked at that record. You may get a clue to his occupation, or see if he has a position in the forces. He could be Home Guard, considering his age.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Starting to feel at home

the 1939 census just tell me he was Gas Works Labourer the photo was taken in early 1940s cant find anything in ancestry or forces war records site or fold3 if he was a home guard. we have only found his WW1 short service record & medal roll

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

There appears to be no isignia, brass buttons, badges or otherwise on his tunic, from what I can see in the photo.

Possibly Air Raid Warden.?
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

WW2 service records are still held by the MOD. You can buy a hardcopy, see the message HERE.

However, are you sure he's in uniform? If he was born in 1892, he would have been 47 in 1939, unusually old unless he had special skills and was needed as a trainer. Obviously the original of the photo is going to be clearer than the on-screen version, but if it really looks like a uniform, Steve's suggestion of the Home Guard would be the place to start.

PS added later: I have moved this thread from Navigating Brit-Gen to the WW2 forum.

Starting to feel at home

all we know is he was a sergeant in WW1 and a gas worker in 1939 as there is no census after 39 to see what he was doing he passed away in 1965 so would be no longer held by MOD as it's passed 25yrs after death. we think it could be uniform i will have to see if my dad can find the original photo.

I will try mod after i get his sons marine records in couple of weeks time see if anything for him in WW2

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Something to consider is that if he was a gas works labourer he may have been exempted from actual war service regardless of his age because he was working in a vital industry.

Did any of his children marry during the war? If so, what occupation did they give for him on their marriage certificate?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

The far right column of the 1939 register states ARP - Air Raid Protection - so he was an Air Raid (or ARP) Warden.

It also says Salford Corporation Gas Dept, so that's presumably where he was a gas works labourer

Jen, I don’t understand what you mean in message 6 about the MOD not holding records 25 years after death. I suggest that you take a look at their site’s info pages. There’s a link in the message I referred to earlier.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A question for the military experts -
    I know there's a big gap between the service in WW1 and the perceived service in WW2, but would the MoD have released the WW1 records if Thomas had served in WW2. Or is it only if the service is continuous that they still hold the records?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast