Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Purcell

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Richard Purcell

I am a novice at family history so please be gentle with me. I apologise up front for my lack of skills and knowledge. What I know so far is Richard Purcell married Mary Ryan in Ireland. They had a daughter Honora, my great great grandmother who was born in Tipperary in 1837. I am trying to find out how and when they arrived in Melbourne Victoria Australia. Thank you. Kindest regards

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Please don't worry about being a novice - that happened to all of us at some time! Don't be afraid to ask, if you feel that you want to edit something, as a Mod.
    I left a post HERE which suggests things to include to get the most out of a query...

We have members who are expert in finding info about people moving to Oz - I am sure one of them will be along soon. To attract their attention, I am moving this thread to the Australia forum, but can easily move it elsewhere if you ask.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi,

It appears that Honora married Edward Searle in 1856. If this is correct it helps to narrow arrival dates down. So arriving between 1837 and 1856. [Hope i have the right Honora marrying in 1856]

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Shippo, yes Honora (Hanora) did marry Edward Searle (my Great Great grandfather) on 3rd June 1856 in Melbourne Vic. I am trying to find out when and how Honora, her parents Richard & Mary (maybe Margaret), and (we think) brother Nicholas arrived in Melbourne. Anne Purcell was witness at Honora & Edwards marriage, so assume she was born in Australia. Any help is truly appreciated as I am a real novice, but loving the journey.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I know zilch about Australian BMD certificates, but something in the back of my mind says that on one of the certificates (death?) there's a question about how long the person has been in Australia. If that's correct, do you have the death certificates for Richard, Mary/possibly Margaret, or Honora?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Pam is spot on with death certificates,information shown as follows.
    Deaths
    Date and place of death;
    name and surname;
    occupation of the deceased;
    sex and age;
    cause of death,
    duration of illness,
    medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased;
    name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname signature, description and address of the person who gave the information; signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered,
    when and where buried,
    undertaker whom certified;
    name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial;
    place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in theAustralian colonies or states (stating which),
    name of spouse,
    place of marriage,
    age at marriage;
    names and ages of children of the deceased.

Passenger lists here.https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/
    Keep in mind that until 1853? the state of Victoria did not exist,it was Port Phillip district of New South Wales.
    Last edited by warncoort; 30-07-2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Duplicated Information

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye Schreuders View Post
    Anne Purcell was witness at Honora & Edwards marriage, so assume she was born in Australia.
    When she died unmarried in 1883, the informant was unable to name her parents. She was aged 43, so born around 1840.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/202607004

A fountain of knowledge

So far no luck with a passenger list.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Pam. Honora's death certificate has arrived. Her DOB is 1837, she died 6th May 1897,lived in Victoria for 43 years, married Edward at aged 20 therefore she arrived about 1854, but cannot find any record of her arriving. Any assistance will be truly appreciated.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Dundee, the support and assistance I'm receiving is amazing. A HUGE thank you everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast