Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Purcell

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Purcell

Good Morning Everyone

I have found the following information regarding HONORA PURCELL. Honora's mother's name was Margaret Purcell nee Ryan. Margaret & Richard married on 18th February 1819 at Loughmore and Castleiny Ireland. Parish Variants Castleiny, Casteleiny, Loughmoe, Loughmore. Diocese Cashel & Emly. I have Baptism Certificates for Margaret, (their Daughter) Baptism took place 20th 1839 & Nicholas Baptism 18th Sept 1834. I cannot find any Birth/Baptism documents for Richard, John, Ann or Honora. I have Australian Death/Funeral documents for Honora, Ann, Nicholas, John & Richard (their son). I cannot find any information on when they arrived in Australia, if they arrived individually or as a family unit. Any information will be truly appreciated. A HUGE THANK YOU!!! in anticipation. Kaye

A fountain of knowledge

HI Kaye, there appears to be a Michael Purcell as well.

VIC death index

Registration number 9473
    Registration year 1874
    Family name PURCELL
    Given names Michael
    Father's name Richard
    Mother's name Margaret (Ryan)
    Place of birth TIPP
    Age47

Article on his death

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/220455594

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much Shippo, that adds one more piece of information to the Purcell family. I really appreciate all the help I can get. Have a great day/night. Very Hot and windy here in Victoria Australia.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Shippo, I have copied the newspaper article for my Purcell file. It is starting to look really good. Many thanks. Ciao.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just a thought... One of my distant relatives went to Australia and then on to New Zealand. Might your family have done it the other way round? I don't know what records exist which might record incomers from NZ, but someone else might? pwholt

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you pwholt, it is worth looking into. Hadn't thought of it from that angle.

This Australia National Archives guide may help Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Christina will check out their website.

A fountain of knowledge

Finding people in passenger indexes can be dependent on their economic status. Poorer passengers with an assisted passage were carefully documented. People who did not qualify for assistance, ie, could pay for their own passage, were less well documented. If this was the case, they might be hiding as Mr & Mrs Purcell and infant or something like that.

Another way of seeking new arrivals is in the Trove newspapers. Missing persons columns often have message from or for relatives and friends already in the colony so they can catch up with each other (everyone seemed to be on the move during the gold rush), and this often mentions a ship. Or you might find them mentioned with the latest shipping arrivals. Use the buttons on the left of Trove to narrow down your time frame.

There was a LOT of coastal shipping at this time, and they may have arrived elsewhere - Tasmania, South Australia, New Zealand as has been mentioned, New South Wales, so take a broad approach to passenger indexes. I think there are some coastal passenger indexes for Victoria if you look at PROV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12