Thread: Address info

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Address info

Hello,

I am trying to help my mum find her birth father. She was adopted in 1954 and has no information about who he is. She found her birth mother (Rita Hebden, 1934-2017, Retford) )in 2001 but she rejected her and refused to tell her anything about her dad and she passed away last year.
    I’ve recently been looking at my mum’s birth certificate and there is an address on it for 327 Perry Road, Basford, but none of the family lived there - I believe Rita was sent there when she was pregnant.
    How would I go about finding who else lived there at this time? I’ve found out who was living there in 1949 but I don’t know if they were still living there in 1953/1954.

I’d really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte,
    I don’t want to be discouraging, but I doubt very much whether the address would help detect the father. Back then, expectant mothers were sent away to mother and baby homes ( as they were euphemistically called) and the baby was taken for adoption within a few days of birth. I knew someone who went through this at the start of the 1960s, and she said that she wasn't even known by her own name while in the home.

As this is a Genealogy group, specializing in historic records, we don’t have much expertise in “modern” searches and do not allow the details of potentially living people to be posted here.
    The only thing that I can think of that might help is to contact the Salvation Army Family Finding Service. They are experts at tracking (potentially) living people and one or two of our members have had good results.

However.... Please think about whether your mother will cope with a second rejection. There is little chance of proving anything, even if you find someone possible. If alive, he’s going to be in his 90s and memory fades.

PS I have deleted your other post in the Certificates forum as we do not allow duplicate threads - we like to concentrate any possible help in one place.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your reply. Yes we were thinking it might be a home but we were wondering if there’s a way to find out if that’s definitely the case. From the current pictures of the house online it looks like a little terraced house. I will contact the Salvation Army to see if they can help. I’ve spoken to my mum and she just wants to know where she’s come from and whether she might have any half siblings out there.
    Thank you for your advice, it’s much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Hi Charlotte,
    I don’t want to be discouraging, but I doubt very much whether the address would help detect the father. Back then, expectant mothers were sent away to mother and baby homes ( as they were euphemistically called) and the baby was taken for adoption within a few days of birth. I knew someone who went through this at the start of the 1960s, and she said that she wasn't even known by her own name while in the home.

As this is a Genealogy group, specializing in historic records, we don’t have much expertise in “modern” searches and do not allow the details of potentially living people to be posted here.
    The only thing that I can think of that might help is to contact the Salvation Army Family Finding Service. They are experts at tracking (potentially) living people and one or two of our members have had good results.

However.... Please think about whether your mother will cope with a second rejection. There is little chance of proving anything, even if you find someone possible. If alive, he’s going to be in his 90s and memory fades.

PS I have deleted your other post in the Certificates forum as we do not allow duplicate threads - we like to concentrate any possible help in one place.

Famous for offering help & advice

just checking something which I am sure you are already aware of - the 1939 Register shows an alternative surname of Rita Hebden (in green ink), but I guess if that's the surname of a later husband it won't be any use to you (?). (Free BMD shows me the 1957 marriage which gave Rita the new surname).

A fountain of knowledge

I just typed your mother's name, dates and place in google and a posting there might be of interest.
    Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for your replies. My mum tracked down Rita in 2001 and has all the info on the Hebden family tree - we know she got married and they didn’t have any children together and he’s now dead. The relatives who are still alive claim they don’t know anything so I’m just clutching at straws with trying to find out why she was living at that address (a Dilks family were living there in 1949 but I don’t know how long for) and trying to find someone who knew Rita at the time who might be able to help us. I’ve sent off for a dna kit too.
    Apologies if I’ve posted in the wrong forum but if anyone has any ideas and advice I’d be very grateful :-)