Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Muir married to Cantwell

Firstly I apologise for the lack of clues. George Muir (c.1785 UK-1833 Maitland Australia) married Elizabeth Cantwell (c.1790 UK-1878 Maitland, Aust). They arrived in Aust aboard Jupiter in 1823 and George was appointed Chief Constable in Newcastle Aust shortly afterwards. Children Elizabeth (then aged 13), Mary Ann (16), Frances (9), Priscilla (7) came with them, and 3 more appear to be borne in Aust.
    My query is whether anyone can find any more particulars regarding the British side of their lives, please.

Dundee10

Have a look for the children's baptisms on FamilySearch.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/hr/search/

You have incorrect ages for the children, that is how old they were on the 1828 census.

Famous for offering help & advice

at the moment I can't find a Muir/Cantwell marriage record - have we any idea at all where that took place ?

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a reasonable detailed family tree on Ancestry "Aps Family Tree", that gives George's parents, although it states that they are a guess, but it does have a pretty detailed tree for several generations of ancestors for Elizabeth, who was from Canterbury, Kent.

According to that tree the marriage took place 29 May 1811 at Saint Mary-St Marylebone Road, St Marylebone, Westminster, and George's surname was MUIRE.

They seem to have had at least 4 children in England: Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Frances Sophia and Priscilla.

If he was appointed police chief that quickly, that suggests that he had experience in the UK. Have you searched for police lists?

Is there any chance that he was a scot? Muir is a common spelling of Moor north of the Border...

Well firstly I stand corrected and sit chastised - but very grateful Dundee noticed I had inserted incorrect ages. Unfortunately I have no other clues, as George died before detailed bdms. Thank you to all for considering the matter.

Have you looked for an obituary for George?

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you been able to check military records?
    Australian royalty website has George's record and reports from Trove that there were 15 pensioned non commissioned officers and soldiers of the Royal Artillery to occupy the situations of superintendents etc on board the Jupiter.
    Another report in the Australian newspaper 18 aug 1825 states that a Mr Muir pensioner of the Royal Regiment of Sappers and Miners has been appointed as chief constable

Find my past has some military records online. I don't subscribe but it could be worth checking and using surname variants.
    There may also be records held at the National Archives, though not all of these are online.

Thanks all for still wondering about my problem. I have checked for an obituary on Trove. George died on 25/12/1833 in Maitland, where he had amassed a fair bit of land. His eldest Aust born son applied for the land, being so entitled in those times. Interesting that there is a Muir in 1825 in the same field, may be he came out and went back to UK and then back again. Food for thought. Appreciate the interest.

Sorry for that last post Grisel. Have my dates muddled again. Of course he arrived in 1823, so quite likely the same chap. Better eat breakfast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast