Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi,
    Keen to know how you go with this research. I'm researching George and Family as well as he was my Grandfather x 7ish.Lol.
    Got to the Military Connection in the UK but still trying to track UK History prior to arrival. He came to Australia and his first job was Wharf overseer (Wharfinger) in Port Macquarie, before becoming Chief Constable, then Built a pub in Maitland (The Union Inn) and wife Elizabeth was the Licensee of the Muir's Family Hotel in Maitland foe a number of years. The Licence was transferred to William Eckford (My Grandfather x 6ish) and his wife Elizabeth Eckford. Daughter of George. The pub was the Wool team Inn on Morpeth Road, Morpeth. Still there as a private residence. George and Elizabeth Cantwell also had another son George William Muir (1818-1819) in UK. He was also Postmaster at Maitland in 1833 at the time of his death on Christmas Day.
    I recently posted some photos of the family crypt at Old Glebe Cemetery east Maitland on Find a Grave. This is George, Elizabeth, Mary Anne and Elizabeth. One daughter married a Doctor and moved to America (Pricilla?) the other I'm still working on.
    Hope this helps.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Some records indicate Muire with the E on the end. I'm at the level you have mentioned in your post and searching for info. most birth and christening hits indicate Scotland, but it becomes a process of elimination comparing BDM's.
    The same problem with Elizabeth Cantwell. Not convinced with the Canterbury Birth yet. Hope its correct but needs more checking.
    These guys are my Grandparents x7ish so keen to find out.
    Thanks for your info.

Loves to help with queries

Sorry Deano7 I haven't progressed any further at this stage.

Hello Yes, Elizabeth Cantwell (1788 - 1877)is the sister to William Cantwell Dairy Farmer (1775 - 1841) of Marston Oxfordshire, who died in 1841. Their parents were Richard Cantwell (1737 - 1832) and Ann Langford (1759 - 1836) also of Marston Oxford. William's son John (1819 - 1857)married Eliza Woodbridge who was the daughter of William's wifes sister, so in effect he married a cousin. Eliza had a daughter out of wedlock called Martha, and it looks like John married Eliza to get her away from the workhouse. John and Eliza were sent to stay in with Johns aunt Elizabeth Muir (nee Cantwell) at her hotel in Maitland, NSW, in the same year of their marriage 1844. They sailed on the "Templar". It arrived in Sydney 27th August 1844. It is not known as to what port it sailed from in the UK, but presume either London, or Liverpool. Martha took on the name "Cantwell".

George Muir was a book binder in London as his daughter Elizabeth Muir's birth certificate signifies in 1815.She was born 1st Sept at Red Lion Street, Woolwich.

Hello Yes, Elizabeth Cantwell (1788 - 1877)is the sister to William Cantwell Dairy Farmer (1775 - 1841) of Marston Oxfordshire, who died in 1841. Their parents were Richard Cantwell (1737 - 1832) and Ann Langford (1759 - 1836) also of Marston Oxford. William's son John (1819 - 1857)married Eliza Woodbridge who was the daughter of William's wifes sister, so in effect he married a cousin. Eliza had a daughter out of wedlock called Martha, and it looks like John married Eliza to get her away from the workhouse. John and Eliza were sent to stay in with Johns aunt Elizabeth Muir (nee Cantwell) at her hotel in Maitland, NSW, in the same year of their marriage 1844. They sailed on the "Templar". It arrived in Sydney 27th August 1844. It is not known as to what port it sailed from in the UK, but presume either London, or Liverpool. Martha took on the name "Cantwell".George Muir was a book binder in London as his daughter Elizabeth Muir's birth certificate signifies in 1815.She was born 1st Sept at Red Lion Street, Woolwich.

Stephen, if it's Deano that you're replying to, he's not been here since 2018. If his email is still the same, he should received a message saying that someone has replied to a thread that he's contributed to, so you may be lucky.

Hopefully Deano will find this in the future, but in any event, researchers following this line will now be able to find the information on this site via google, and for this reason I offer the information. I feel its important because there has been a general trend to assume Elizabeths origins come from Canterbury when in actual fact it is of Marston, Oxford. Possibly peoples research leads them to the prerogative court of Canterbury that held wills, and mistake this for a location for a descendant.

I agree with you entirely - no information is ever wasted, and I thank you for posting it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12