Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Margaret Massey b. Leicestershire?

I'm going over old ground as I have done now for some years looking for the baptism of Margaret Massey , who in the 1851 census gives her birthplace as Desford, Leic. Age in census looks to be 78. 1841 census gives her age as 60. She married Thomas Haywood 1802 Breedon on the Hill. Her death cert. gives age as 74. Grave index gives her age as 78 (born 1778?). I've even searched for a Massey death close to her marriage to Thomas Haywood wondering whether Massey was her 1st married name. I'm just going around in ever-decreasing circles so to put me out of my misery I thought I would share my frustration with you good people and ask for help. In anticipation, thank you....LizzieB

Dundee10

Perhaps Margaret's mother had a child with Mr PACE before marrying Mr MASSEY.

Margaret Pace WARNER
    Baptised: 21 Sep 1777
    Desford, Leicester, England
    Mother: Ann WARNER

Marriage

Ann WARNER
    Samuel MASSEY
    Married 12 Nov 1781
    Breedon On The Hill, Leicester, England

According to FamilySearch the images are on FMP so might be worth a look.

Dundee10

Sarah WARNER
    Baptised: 9 Jun 1771

Samuel Masse WARNER
    Baptised: 02 Apr 1780

Thanks Dundee10, I'm certainly going to look into the above. Have a FMP sub. Won't be until later this evening but well worth further investigation. Believe me, I'll get back to you one way or t'other.

Hi Dundee10....this is the closest I've been to Margaret (Massey?). The bapt year of 1777 fits in with her age in the 1851 census and death index more so than 1841 census. I'm intrigued about how you went about finding the above. Unfortunately there is no image for Margaret Pace Warner bapt. whereas there are for her probable siblings.....Sarah bast. dau. of Anne Warner.....Samuel Massey Warner, illegitimate....Mother Anne Warner. I would have loved to have found the imagine saying bast. or illeg. which probably would have swayed me. I am having no luck with the surname Pace poss. Peace. However I'll get back to that this evening. Are you aware if FMP have the complete Desford BMDs. Samuel Massey was a widower at the time of his marriage, after banns, to Anne Warner, she spinster, he shoemaker and widower. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Unfortunately there is no image for Margaret Pace Warner bapt.
    Hi Lizzie, the image is there. I found it by going to Leicestershire baptisms on FMP. The only info I input was first name (Margaret) and year of bapt. (1777). I did also put place Desford, but was presented with other places too. Margaret (indexed Lace) was 3rd on the list.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieB View Post
    Hi Dundee10....this is the closest I've been to Margaret (Massey?). The bapt year of 1777 fits in with her age in the 1851 census and death index more so than 1841 census. I'm intrigued about how you went about finding the above. Unfortunately there is no image for Margaret Pace Warner bapt. whereas there are for her probable siblings.....Sarah bast. dau. of Anne Warner.....Samuel Massey Warner, illegitimate....Mother Anne Warner. I would have loved to have found the imagine saying bast. or illeg. which probably would have swayed me. I am having no luck with the surname Pace poss. Peace. However I'll get back to that this evening. Are you aware if FMP have the complete Desford BMDs. Samuel Massey was a widower at the time of his marriage, after banns, to Anne Warner, she spinster, he shoemaker and widower. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
    First, a slight correction. Church registers record baptisms, marriages and burials, which are not the same as births, marriages, and deaths. I know it's picky, but it can cause problems, especially if someone isn't baptised until several years after their birth. e.g. one of my something-great grandfathers was baptised about three days before he got married. If I'd used his baptism date as his birthdate it would have looked rather strange in the family tree.

FMP seem to have the existing PRs for Desford. It might be a hiccup but except for banns they're not included in the parishes list for Leicestershire.
    https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/life-events-bmds/leicestershire-parish-list

I found them by going to search, from the dropdown menu selecting A-Z record sets, and then typing in Leicestershire. Select Parish Registers Browse, and start to type Desford and select whole name from list.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Found the following on one of my CDs from Leicester & Rutland FHS - Bastardy Indictments 1681-1838

15 Jul 1777 Translation Session
    Ann Warner, Desford Parish & Samuel Massey
    Discharged
    Reference (Records Office): QS5/1/5

Also, in the Poor Law Indexes:
    Sarah Warner, Desford - Apprenticeship Indenture. 2nd Parish Worthington. Noted as Alias & also listed as Sarah Slingsby
    Sarah Warner, Desford - Apprenticeship Indenture. 2nd Parish Griffydam
    Robert Warner - Apprentice Master. Desford, Worthington & Griffydam
    Ann Warner, Desford - Apprentice Parent
    Reference No: 64/20/37

Famous for offering help & advice

Possibly another record for you, given the reference to Robert Warner & Worthington on Sarah’s apprenticeship.
    From the Removal & Settlement CD:

1757, Epiphany Session, between Swannington & Worthington
    Robert Warner, Husband
    Sarah Warner, Wife
    Joseph Warner, 10, Son
    Ann Warner, 9, Daughter
    Mary Warner, 6, Daughter
    William Warner, 5, Son
    John Warner, 2, Son
    Reference: QS6/1/5/713 and also some info under QS3/170/1

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieB View Post
    I'm intrigued about how you went about finding the above.
    I just looked for anyone named Margaret baptised at Desford and she was the only one. I then looked to see if Ann WARNER later married and saw that both the WARNER/MASSEY marriage and Margaret's were at Breedon.

Who witnessed Margaret's marriage? If Sarah and Samuel survived to adulthood and married then their witnesses might tie in as well.

I wonder if these might also be relevant. Are these two index entries for the same baptism?

Name: Samuel MASSE
    Christening Date: 1641
    Christening Place: DESFORD,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
    Mother's Name: Ann MASSE

Name: Samuel PACE
    Christening Date: 05 Mar 1641
    Christening Place: DESFORD,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
    Mother's Name: Anne PACE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast