Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

All's good Alma....found....thank you.

They would have to be the same Dundee10.....I wonder if the names were crossed out on the register then whoever did the transcription decided to leave both. Strange that it is another Samuel and Ann. Witnesses at Margaret's marriage to Thomas Haywood was Richard Hewse and Samuel Marshall.

All's good Alma.....found.....thank you.

You would have to think so Dundee10. Just for your information.. .....Margaret (Pace/Massey) is my 4 x g.grandmother and if I can't find father Pace, it all stops with Ann Warner. I think all you people that contribute on the B-G Forums are just so generous with your time, experience and knowledge. I for one have had so much help.

Having drop-out problems here this evening Jomot1......replied twice re needing reading material to explain certain terms you have used i.e. Epiphany Session, between Swannington/Worthington, Translation Session, Apprenticeships etc. so I can better understand. The record with family that has Ann as 9 years looks very positive as it would have her b. 1748 and having a daughter Sarah (same as mother) in 1771 at 23 years of age, just seems to fit. A quick thank for your great help like you wouldn't believe and while all's goingwell I am about to hit the quick reply button....

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Lizzie

The records beginning with the reference QS are Quarter Sessions records, ie court sessions that were held 4 times per year. Epiphany, Translation etc were the names given to the individual quarters - Epiphany (December/January), Easter (April), Translation (July) and Michaelmas (October).

Given that Sarah was only 7 when she was apprenticed, and the papers are in the Poor Law records, this will almost certainly have been a parish or pauper apprenticeship - see link below for an overview

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/ap...h-poor-law/42/

The reference to Swannington/Worthington on the Removal & Settlement record is also to do with poor law. The index is lacking in detail but it would indicate that the family was having to claim relief (financial support) from the parish where they were living and as this was not their 'home' parish they would have been considered a financial drain so were ordered to be returned.

According to the notes on the CD, the Order Books from which the records were taken are cases where a Removal Order was made but there was a dispute between the parishes. From what I can make out, they were to be removed from Swannington to Worthington, and Worthington appealed it but it was upheld.

I've just checked and I actually missed a further reference - the decision of the Epiphany session was 'Respites', ie deferred to the next session. The next session was Easter, and the decision was 'Confirmed', ie the removal order was upheld. The reference for this is QS6/1/5/716

An overview about Removal & Settlement here:

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/se...-poor-law/173/

Unfortunately I can't find any reference to the Settlement Examination, so it looks as though all that has survived is the Order Book.

Famous for offering help & advice

Oh, this is quite interesting

I've found the baptisms for Anne Warner (18 Oct 1747, Whitwick, St John the Baptist) d/o Robert & Sarah, and also her younger brother John (12 May 1754, Coleorton, abode "Breedn", ie Breedon on the Hill).

Marrying in Breedon on the Hill on 28 Aug 1791 was Sarah Warner, spinster to James Walker. Witnesses Robert Dent & Samuel Massey

Buried at Breedon on the Hill on 6 Dec 1781 was Robert Warner of Griffydam, and on 5 Oct 1783 Sarah Warner of Griffydam

Aaah Jomot1.....thank you.....for the links to genguide, the two baptisms and Robert and Sarah's burials. I had actually found Sarah Warner's marr. to James Walker but thank you for that as well. I hope you get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction presenting people such as myself with the results that enable us to move along.

Hello almach, The FMP image for Margaret's baptism with the name Lace/Pace has been bothering me since posting as at 1st look I read the word as base but concentrating on the s in base it certainly looked liked a c. I've since been back to that image and scrolled through other baptisms and on the top of the page where Margaret's bapt. appears there is a......Wm and what looks like, once again, the word Lace but the L and c have been overwritten (altered).....son of Sarah Thirnby etc. About 3 bapts. under Margaret's for a John, the word Pace or Lace has been altered as well. I would welcome your opinion but I am of the firm belief that Margaret was not born of a father by the name of Lace/Pace but was the 'base' dau. of Ann Warner.

I'm trying to take another look at the thread, but experiencing internet connect problems, and can't get the record to load on FMP. I'll keep trying.
    Alma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast