Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Dear ALMACH

Well I got quite a surprise just now. I had asked someone if they could enlighten us with Benjamin Davies Hazelwood? and so went to inform you of their finding when I then received your latest posting No. 19 which I gather is the 1911 census Llanelly for Alfred L Thomas and wife Elizabeth who is seemingly the person in the Canadian Obituary ie Elizabeth Rachel Jones = Aunt Lizzie. BUT I have not been sent a print out of your postings late last night ie 13-18 which I have just discovered, so is it possible I could be sent those by someone please?

I can't thank you enough for all the incredible research you have done which is brilliant and an enormous help. I have only just skimmed through it all but there's a wealth of info there. For now few points:

1) Sincere apologies for asking but we don't have the marriage for Alfred L Thomas to Aunt Lizzie is Elizabeth Rachel Jones do we?

2) Benjamin Davies - yesterday he was stated as Uncle to Alfred L Thomas but I note from this morning he is listed as a Friend - however re hazelwood. I have just been told that someone googled (not sure how!) and found a Hazelwood Row in Cwmavon and attached the 1911 census (think ref.14-32612-0019-06) address 10 Hazelwood Row Cwmavon. Benjamin Davies Head 42 Labourer steel works. born Cwmavon. Mary Davies wife 42 b Aberavon. Married 23 years no children.

3) you gave info from the 1911 Llanelly census for Alfred and Aunt Lizzy ie Elizabeth (Rachel) Jones he working in tin works.
    I started all this work with my relative Sarah Lydia Clarke who married Howell Thomas (see my initial posting) who went to Canada then America. He stated over there that he was going to join his friend Ernest Jones who in fact Lydia, as she was known, married after divorcing Howell. Ernest was b 1900 Llanelly Father David Jones and mother Anne Lewis (from documentation) so perhaps that is the connection of their friendship. I don't have the 1901 or 1911 censuses for him.

Again that is wonderful work that you have done and I am so grateful. My first posting indicated I had lost the plot so will take me some time to sort this out (!!)
    I don't have a printer but really need a typed copy of it all which might help my feeble brain!

PAM

just seen yours 20 re saving census returns. No I haven't done that but don't think I can access/save as a guest on Anc. With this free access I am currently
    going through my Hints as I realise I can access them. and click on save which goes direct to my tree which is brilliant.

Best wishes
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

PS In my previous post I asked about the marriage of Alfred L Thomas to Elizabeth Jones but realise that in my first post I said
    "I found a marriage June 1907 Neath Elizabeth Jones to Alfred L Thomas." Ref is Neath 11a 1476

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Dear ALMACH

Well I got quite a surprise just now. I had asked someone if they could enlighten us with Benjamin Davies Hazelwood? and so went to inform you of their finding when I then received your latest posting No. 19 which I gather is the 1911 census Llanelly for Alfred L Thomas and wife Elizabeth who is seemingly the person in the Canadian Obituary ie Elizabeth Rachel Jones = Aunt Lizzie. BUT I have not been sent a print out of your postings late last night ie 13-18 which I have just discovered, so is it possible I could be sent those by someone please?

I can't thank you enough for all the incredible research you have done which is brilliant and an enormous help. I have only just skimmed through it all but there's a wealth of info there. For now few points:

1) Sincere apologies for asking but we don't have the marriage for Alfred L Thomas to Aunt Lizzie is Elizabeth Rachel Jones do we?
    Try your first post, section 2. You can basically confirm if this is likely to be correct by looking at the 1911 census and seeing how many years the couple have been married.

2) Benjamin Davies - yesterday he was stated as Uncle to Alfred L Thomas but I note from this morning he is listed as a Friend - however re hazelwood. I have just been told that someone googled (not sure how!) and found a Hazelwood Row in Cwmavon and attached the 1911 census (think ref.14-32612-0019-06) address 10 Hazelwood Row Cwmavon. Benjamin Davies Head 42 Labourer steel works. born Cwmavon. Mary Davies wife 42 b Aberavon. Married 23 years no children.

3) you gave info from the 1911 Llanelly census for Alfred and Aunt Lizzy ie Elizabeth (Rachel) Jones he working in tin works.
    I started all this work with my relative Sarah Lydia Clarke who married Howell Thomas (see my initial posting) who went to Canada then America. He stated over there that he was going to join his friend Ernest Jones who in fact Lydia, as she was known, married after divorcing Howell. Ernest was b 1900 Llanelly Father David Jones and mother Anne Lewis (from documentation) so perhaps that is the connection of their friendship. I don't have the 1901 or 1911 censuses for him.
    As you have all those details for Ernest it should be very simple for you to find him on those census. Just remember to search the Welsh section.
    Again that is wonderful work that you have done and I am so grateful. My first posting indicated I had lost the plot so will take me some time to sort this out (!!)
    I don't have a printer but really need a typed copy of it all which might help my feeble brain!
    Which is why I said you should download census images. (Though see the next section re my comment about 'any time access.)
    There is more often more information on there than people provide in a transcription.
    PAM

just seen yours 20 re saving census returns. No I haven't done that but don't think I can access/save as a guest on Anc. With this free access I am currently
    going through my Hints as I realise I can access them. and click on save which goes direct to my tree which is brilliant.

Best wishes
    Jill
    If you can see images attached to your tree even if you don't have a sub to Ancestry then that's fine. What is important is that you can access those images any time you want to. (I don't have my tree on Ancestry, so don't know how it works.)

When Ancestry (or any company) offer free access you can search and access any record covered by the offer, not just ones they offer as hints.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

I need to study all this info but in the meantime two points please
    1) is it possible I can be sent a printed copy of posts 13-18 as for some reason I haven't been sent them.

2) Without wishing to sound too stupid and I am nervous of asking, Almach has given details of both Aunt Lizzie's family ie Jones and
    also for her husband Alfred L Thomas but do we know yet how she is Howell Thomas' Aunt?

I like to get info on my Anc tree in case Hints come up but don't know how she fits in - aplologies for asking.
    Jill

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    I need to study all this info but in the meantime two points please
    1) is it possible I can be sent a printed copy of posts 13-18 as for some reason I haven't been sent them.

2) Without wishing to sound too stupid and I am nervous of asking, Almach has given details of both Aunt Lizzie's family ie Jones and
    also for her husband Alfred L Thomas but do we know yet how she is Howell Thomas' Aunt?

I like to get info on my Anc tree in case Hints come up but don't know how she fits in - aplologies for asking.
    Jill
    Re the bit in bold - do you mean you haven't received either an overnight notification from BG about posts in this thread, or 'instant notifications' as the individual posts were made?
    In either case, if you haven't received them, then sorry, but there's nothing anyone can do if the system has a blip.
    My best suggestion is to do a copy-and-paste from the individual messages to a file on your computer.

I think Almach based her findings on the information you gave in post #1 about Elizabeth having having those brothers and sisters, but I'm not sure, so hopefully she'll come back and confirm how.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I think Almach based her findings on the information you gave in post #1 about Elizabeth having having those brothers and sisters, but I'm not sure, so hopefully she'll come back and confirm how.
    Pam
    That's right, Pam.

I was responding to this.
    I would very much like to find who his Aunt was. I have been sent a lot of info from Canada/America.
    With only the address to go by she has been found and from her Obituary she was Elizabeth Rachel nee JONES. . Died 1942 in her 54th year so born c1888 Cwmavon.Her husband was Alfred L Thomas*
    And this.
    PS What I would very much welcome is help finding "Aunt Lizzie" on a census return - I have her info from the obituary ie her name and
    her husband and children. Hopefully that would enable me to tie her in with Howell Thomas.

Jill, I gave you a lot of info which I thought may help you to sort out the relationships. Yes, I know the surnames being popular Welsh names don't make it easy, but as you have access to Ancestry now for a couple of days, you have the same UK records as me at your fingertips. It will be a challenge, but if you unravel it, it will give you a wonderful sense of achievement and boost your confidence. Give it a go, telling yourself you will not be beaten. Good luck
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks ALMACH Yes I certainly want to "give it a go" but my initial posting said I am overwhelmed and can't work it out
    and still can't work out how to unravel it - need to take a break I think as finding it difficult . Apologies. Very very grateful though
    for all your info which is wonderful and very kind of you to have done that for me.
    Best wishes
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

PS I was hoping to get the Obituary for Aunt Lizzie copied into text ie an email so I could copy and paste here but technically
    I have been told it's impossible to do that. Is there any way I can email it as an attachment at B Gen so someone can post it?
    I thought since it lists so many names and places that it might yield some results from descendants etc.

A fountain of knowledge

Any thoughts welcome please re my last posting

I think the easiest thing would be to type it out (possibly in a file on your computer so you can type a section at a time) and when it's finished just copy-and-paste to a post in the thread.

You can't send attachments through the BG system. You could try putting the obituary in a place such as Photobucket (there is a sticky, think it's in 'Navigating British-Genealogy' about how to do it), but sometimes the writing comes out quite small and you can't enlarge the image enough to make it legible. By the time you've finished faffing about with Photobucker/a.n.other, you would have typed out at least half of any report.

Pam

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast