Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Dear ALMACH

That is wonderful information and I am so grateful as perhaps it gives me the lucky break I need.

Re the 1920 Passenger list - that is the list I was sent initially with date of 1913 but which was confirmed this morning as 1920.
    I was also sent the Anc statement which shows arrival date 28th March 1920.
    On that it states he was in US before from 1911-1914!
    I don't have the passenger lists for arrival 1911 and also yours, as above, 1913. Brilliant there is an Uncle Benjamin Davis but I don't have that so can't work out the place which you say looks like Hazelwood. I typed it in google and it throws up a B & B called Hazelwood House near Bridgend but it's not that. I thought perhaps Hazelwood was a village there.

I have asked a friend if she can copy into an email the text of the Obituary for Alfred L Thomas' wife so I can post that info since it gives me her family in Wales and also in Canada, although I did give the names in my initial posting.

It's somewhat frustrating that I have received immense amount of info from Canada inc her Obituary yet all I had was a PO Box address but I'm not a member of Anc so can't find the census returns. I thought I could trace people here but looks as though I'll have better luck with Canada!

Many thanks
    Best wishes
    Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Until midnight Tuesday 10 July Ancestry are giving free access to their UK records, including censuses and the 1939 Register.
    You might have to register to access the images but you shouldn't be asked for any credit card details.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ry-6-to-9-July

I know it initially says Monday, but if you scroll down to the last message, it's been extended.
    You need to go to Ancestry .co.uk

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

4) Mrs William Winklin says Perth but assume Porth, Wales
    I don't see a Winklin/Jones marriage, however there is this one which I think could be the one.

Marriages Mar 1939

Jones Rachel Winkley Neath 11a 915
    Winkley William C Jones Neath 11a 915

1939 Register

9 James Street , Port Talbot M.B., Glamorganshire
    William C Winkley, born 13 Jun 1901, omnibus driver
    Rachel Winkley, born 15 Aug 1903.

1911 census 2 Gordon Villas Cwmback Road Aberdare. RG14; Piece: 32499; Schedule Number: 140
    David Charles Winkley 38
    Agnes Edith Winkley 38
    William Charles Winkley 8, born Swansea
    Alice Maude Clague Winkley 6
    Vira Dorine Winkley 2

The brothers were Thomas in America and William Cwmavon. 5 sisters 1) Mrs Wilfred Jones. 2 & 3 )Misses Maggie and Gladys Jones Cwmavon. 4) Mrs William Winklin says Perth but assume Porth, Wales and 5) Mrs Percy Evans London but two possible marriages for her.
    Most of those names are listed in this household.
    1911 Census 26 Miners Row Cwmavon Glam S Wales. RG14; Piece: 32615; Schedule Number: 215
    All born Cwmavon.
    William and Ellen married 24yrs, 10 children born and still alive.
    Helpfully they had listed Lizzie Jones dau, but had crossed it through.
    William Jones 45
    Rachel Jones 7 [Rachel Winkley 1939 register?]
    Gwladys Jones 5
    Gwyneth Jones 3
    Ellen Jones 42
    Lizzie Jones
    Thomas Jones 21
    Maggie Jones 19
    Johns Jones 16
    Martha Jones 13
    Willie Jones 11
    Katie Jones 9

I'll look for them in earlier census, where Lizzie/Elizabeth should be with them
    Alma

1901 census 24, Miners Row, Michaelston, Cwmavon. RG13; Piece: 5054; Folio: 74; Page: 12
    All born Cwmavon
    William Jones 35
    Ellen Jones 32
    Elizabeth Jones 13
    Thomas Jones 11
    Maggie Jones 8
    John Jones 6
    Martha Jones 4
    William Jones 2
    Rachel Stone 28, sister in law
    Elizabeth Stone 25, sister in law
    Alma

And this could be Mrs Wilfred Jones' marriage reg.
    Marriages Sep 1919
    Jones Martha Jones Neath 11a 2405
    Jones Wilfred L Jones Neath 11a 2405

That couple are on the 1939 register in Port Talbot.
    Alma

On that it states he was in US before from 1911-1914!
    Which is probably why I can't find him on the UK 1911 census. He won't be on the US census either as theirs was taken in 1910. Neither do I see Lizzie/Elizabeth or Ivor on the 1911 UK census, perhaps they too went to the US?
    Alma

Brilliant there is an Uncle Benjamin Davis but I don't have that so can't work out the place which you say looks like Hazelwood.
    Alma

According to the records posted at #10, Alfred was born about 1885/6.

The only one registered in Neath has no middle name or initial, but his MMN is Davies, could uncle Benjamin be Alfred's mother's brother.

THOMAS, ALFRED, MMN DAVIES
    GRO Reference: 1885 S Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 642

Requires more work, and right now I'm done! If you sign up for the Ancestry free access which Pam kindly pointed you towards, maybe you can sort out the relationship.
    Alma

1901, RG13; Piece: 5054; Folio: 23; Page: 37
    James E Thomas 42
    Sarah A Thomas 42
    Margaret Thomas 19
    William J Thomas 17
    Alfred Thomas 15
    Mary Thomas 11
    Sarah A Thomas 9
    Elizabeth Thomas 7
    David J Thomas 4
    Lucy Thomas 1

To check I was on the right track, I looked up Lucy's birth. You can further check by looking up Alfred's other siblings
    THOMAS, LUCY, MMN DAVIES
    GRO Reference: 1900 M Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 869

1911, Llanelly, Carmarthenshire, RG14; Piece: 32848; Schedule Number: 90
    Alfred Thomas 25, tinworks, Cwmavon
    Elizabeth Thomas 23, Cwmavon
    Gwynvor Lobbett Thomas, son, 2, Cwmavon [I think Ivor is actually Gwynvor]

THOMAS, GWYNWR SOBBETT, MMN JONES
    GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 1030

Marriages Mar 1880, Neath 11a 599
    James Elias Thomas, Sarah Anne Davies

Most, maybe all Alfred's family also emigrated.
    Here's a passenger list for some
    Arrived New York, 19 Dec 1919, from L'pool on the Baltic
    Name and address of friend or relative fromm whence came: Ben Davis [friend] 10, Hazelwood Ave, Carnavon
    Final destination, Welland Ont.
    Sarah Ann Thomas, 61; Lucy 19; David James 22; Mary 21 (wife of David James)

U.S., Border Crossings from Canada to U.S., 1895-1960
    Jul 1913
    James Thomas age 55, copper worker, Welsh, last address Welland,
    Nearest relative in country from whence came: wife Sarah Ann Thomas, Cwmavon, Wales.

On another border crossing list he names wife Sarah Thomas, 9, Hazelwood Rd, Glamorgan

You have quite a lot to go at now, Jill. You'll be busy the next few days searching Ancestry.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Jill,

I had a thought very late last night but was too tired to post then - are you saving all the census images that Alma's directing you to in this thread? If not, you really should as you will then have them to refer to forever.

If you already do this, then you can skip the next dozen lines of instructions. but someone else might learn so I'll type them anyway.
    It's very easy to do. On Ancestry, click on the census year you want.
    Scroll down the page, and select the individual country you want. (For most of Jill's stuff it would be Wales.)
    When you already have the census ref, don't bother typing in a name, scroll down and you'll see boxes labelled piece, folio, page.
    Fill in the relevant numbers and as you do a box should appear to the right labelled 'exact'. Click to get a tick.
    Scroll to bottom of page, and click search.
    A list of names will appear, and all those people will be on that census page. Click on 'view image' against any name, then just find where your family appears on it.
    In the top right corner there's a green 'save' button. Click. Now what's important is that you must click 'save to computer'.
    You can either rename the file straightaway or else keep a list of which Ancestry file name relates to which person/census ref and then have a renaming ceremony on a day when you don't have access to Ancestry.

If your family appear at the bottom of a page they may continue on to the next one, so click the > symbol on the right-hand side of the screen to see the next image.

The 1911 census referenced is slightly different. There's just a piece and a household schedule number for each household. Same principle though, enter numbers, and tick 'exact' boxes. Note the schedule box is about six lines away from the piece number box, and comes first. The image is for that household only.

If you don't have them already you can work your way through previous threads and download the images (not just census ones) relevant to them, too.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast