Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    General Registration Office (GRO)
    Birth Registration
    Harriet Powel (sic), Sep Qtr 1845, Wrexham, vol 27, page 266 - mother's maiden name Morris
    Derr why did'n I think of that (Smacking forehead)

Jane Powell, Mar Qtr 1851, Wrexham, vol27 page 285 - mother's maiden name Morris
    another Derrr

Where there other children because there are big gaps between births Mary 41, Harriett 46, John 49, Jane 51, Fanny 60 ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Where there other children because there are big gaps between births Mary 41, Harriett 46, John 49, Jane 51, Fanny 60 ?????
    Not sure what you mean by this? I can find all 5 children recorded on the 1861 Census on the GRO plus a possible David Powell, born 1858 and died 1858.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Not sure what you mean by this? I can find all 5 children recorded on the 1861 Census on the GRO plus a possible David Powell, born 1858 and died 1858.
    Why I asked is I'm saying there are some big gaps between the births of the children.
    Mary b 41 then 5 Years to Harriett b 46, John b 49 and Jane b 51, (they are alright) and then Fanny b 60 that's a 9 year gap I didn't know you had a David b 58 d 58, that's still a big gap between 51 and 58.

Usually can mean children born and die between as with David.
    Maybe I'm clutching at straws.

Mary was registered 'June 43 (they married 7th Feb 1843). I haven't checked for possible Powell/Morris births outside those children recorded on the '51 or '61 census.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Powells

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    I did think that, but haven’t found any others. The area they lived was very poor with insanitary living conditions with high incidences of cholera and typhus so the chances are high they lost other children.

Jan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I’ve looked at the GRO for the birth certs. I put all the children in and came up with only three who had the mother down as Morris. On the earlier census Jane snr is down as being born in Plymouth. And yes I know about Harriet’s occupation!!! I put Harriets name into the newspaper search. Both her and John jnr were a naughty boy and girl. John Powell snr occupation is down as Sawyer on the census and the marriage cert. If this is the correct family then Mary Powell is my great great grandma. I know that Mary Ellen Skeat is my great grandmother and her parents were definately William Skeat and a Mary Powell. Pentrefelin was a very poor area and a google search brought up a pdf on the health of the area in the mid 1800s which painted a very grim picture. I have a diploma in family history from UTAS but for some reason I just can’t move forward with this family. I appreciate all your input in helping me to make sense of them all. I hadn’t found anything about a David Powell or any other children. I haven’t looked into the other live children and wether they married yet. Though I did have a quick look for John in the transportation records - didn’t find him!

There is a marriage could this be him

John Powell
    Registration Year: 1872,Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
    Registration district: Wrexham,Inferred County: Denbighshire
    Volume No: 11b, Page No: 437

Others on Page as follows
    Joseph Davies
    Ann Ellis
    Rachel Share

John Powell snr's address in 1871 was "Belle Vue Road

Welsh Newspapers - https://newspapers.library.wales

Wrexham Guardian, 21 Aug 1875
    DEATHS
    POWELL - On the 16th inst, at Belle Vue Road, Wrexham, John Powell, age 56

GRO Deaths - John Powell, age 56, Sep Qtr 1875, Wrexham, vol 11B page 197

I'd noticed Harriet's "profession" in '71 and had checked her out on this newspaper site and FMP - interesting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast