Famous for offering help & advice

Default CLAYSON or FISHER? Henry, b c1895 Belper WW1

Another one for the Brit-Gen experts!

Filed as CLAYSON in the WW1 Service Records (WO 363):

Henry CLAYSON joined the Notts & Derbyshires on 4 September 1914, declared age 19y. Served as Pte 2409. Killed in action 1 July 1916.

Home address: New Road, Belper.
    "Step-mother" Ann FISHER (New Rd, Belper)
    Eldest sister: Maud HORSLEY (Shaw Lane, Holbrook/Milford)
    Property & Medals sent to Henry FISHER (New Rd, Belper)

I cannot find a suitable birth for CLAYSON - but there is a HENRY FISHER born Q2 1896 Belper.
    Could this be him?
    Why would he describe Ann as his "step-mother" if she's not married to his CLAYSON father?
    Or is Henry FISHER his step-father? And Ann his mother?

I'd be grateful if you can find them on the 1911 census and let me know the relationships!

Anc****y, CLA, pages 210772 to 210789

Growing old Disgracefully

The Henry Fisher you found MMN is Astle

FISHER, HENRY MMN ASTLE
    GRO Reference: 1896 J Quarter in BELPER Volume No 07B. Page 615

Thank you Sandyhall - you set me on the right track. I'd forgotten all about being able to check early mmn's with GRO.

So ... assuming that his sister was the Florence Maud CLAYSON who married a HORSLEY in 1913, and that she was born Q4 1888, mmn HARTSHORNE ...
    I searched for male CLAYSON-HARTSHORNE births c1895 in Belper, and up he popped - JOSEPH HENRY CLAYSON, Q4 1896.

I think that's him!
    Thank you
    Jane

Your last post popped up while I was typing, but I'll post it anyway...

If you search for Annie Clayson born 1857 living Belper, you should see her 1891-1911 living with Henry Fisher, initially he is her lodger and then she becomes his 'housekeeper'.

This seems to be his birth, along with Maud's:

CLAYSON, JOSEPH HENRY mmn HARTSHORNE GRO Reference: 1896 D Quarter in BELPER Volume 07B Page 608
    CLAYSON, FLORENCE MAUD mmn HARTSHORNE GRO Reference: 1888 D Quarter in BELPER Volume 07B Page 575

Also
    CLAYSON, LUCY ELLEN mmn HARTSHORNE GRO Reference: 1890 J Quarter in BELPER Volume 07B Page 569
    CLAYSON, ROBERT HENRY mmn HARTSHORNE GRO Reference: 1892 J Quarter in BELPER Volume 07B Page 615

Confusingly the 1901 census shows Joseph H Clayson aged 4, but the 1911 has Henry Robert, aged 14.

There is also a 1903 school record for a Harry Clayson born 19 Sep 1896, parent's name: Fisher (no forename given)

The 1891 census shows Annie Clayson & Henry Fisher as both married, but by 1901 Henry states he is a widower.

On the surface it therefore looks like Henry Fisher & Annie Clayson are [Joseph] Henry Clayson's biological parents, but this would obviously need checking out further.

I have something similar in my direct line - my Great Grandfather was registered under his mother's married surname, with her husband shown as the father, but this was impossible as he had gone to america and bigamously remarried several years earlier. The actual father was the long-term lodger, but he never appeared on any certificates etc.