Famous for offering help & advice

Default Fred CLAYSON or WARD? b c1886 Cogenhoe - WW1

I'm hoping that Brit-Gens Super Sleuths can find the answer to this one!
    From the WW1 Service Records (WO 363):

Frederick Ward CLAYSON was enlisted on 1 Feb 1917, declared age 30y 112days, born Cogenhoe, Northants. Served with the Buffs (6196) and Warwicks (33964) until discharge 1919.
    Home address: 25 Wycliff Road, Northampton.
    Father: Mark CLAYSON.

I cannot find a suitable CLAYSON birth, and wonder whether he was born Frederick WARD (possible birth Q3 1887 - mmn COX), then adopted a step-father's surname?

Can anyone prove/disprove?

Anc****y, CLA, pages 210594 to 210609

He's in the 1911 as FWC, assistant ironmonger, 2nd son (on the list for 1911) of Mark & Elizabeth Clayson.
    Anc lists a baptism date for him of 7 Nov 1886, Cogenhoe. Unusually, they don't give a link to an entry on the births register...

The same is true for his elder and next brothers - Anc gives a bap date but no link to the birth regs. Sidney (next bro) is also in "Soldiers Who Died" with Cogenhoe given as birthplace...
    Searching BMDs, nothing turns up for that age and forenames but no surname so it can't be a transcription problem....

Then tried "Smith b. 1885 +/- 10 years Cogenhoe" nothing for that or Jones. The 1911 returns 7 hits for "Smith b. Cogenhoe". Searching without a name, just "1885 +/- 10 years Cogenhoe" turned up one entry for a Violet Tirrell, but when I checked, it turned out to be the Find a Grave index.

I think that the Cogenhoe birth records are missing. The marriage & death records look similarly odd.