Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Coombe family, Devon

Does anyone know anything of John Coombe, wife Mary and a son called George born between 1832-33ish. I think Lascelles could be Mary's maiden name, as George named one of his son's George Lascelles Coombe. I would particularly like to know if the first George also had Lascelles as a second Christian name. Thank you.

Growing old Disgracefully

Yes his wife's name was Lascelles, Found on Family Search the following -
    John Coombe, Spouse's Name Mary Lascelles
    Event Date 05 Sep 1814, Event Place Saint Sidwell,Exeter,Devon,England

what occupation did the Father John have, was it a Tailor

1861 Census has this Family
    Kennford, Kenn, Devon
    John Coombe 52 Tailor
    Mary Coombe 52
    James Coombe 16 Taylor
    William Coombe 12
    George Coombe 12
    Henry Coombe 10
    John Coombe 6

Is this the right family

Is this your George?
    1853, 10 Dec, Sydney, Herefordshire, George Lascelles Coombe, (1832 Exeter DEV - 1902 Sydney NSW), possible obituary on Trove (catholic burial)
    Source - The Monaro Pioneer Project - Pioneer and Settlers database
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

An Abraham Howell married a Mary Coombe, All Hallows Exeter, 18 Jan 1835.

There's an Abraham and Mary Howell with son in law George Coome (sic), son-in-law, unmarried, age 19, born Exeter on the 1851 Census

"Son-in-law" is stepson in view of married status?

A John Coombe was buried 22 Feb 1829, age 37 at Exeter St. Sidwell. A possible candidate for the John that married Mary, 1814, St. Sidwell.
    However, the year of death does not fit with George's 1832 estimated birth year - whose baptism to a John and Mary is proving somewhat difficult to find.

The banns of Mary Coombe's marriage to Abraham Howell can be viewed on FMP but the marriage is only a transcription, no image. Sight of parish register might provide Mary's status at time of marriage eg widow.

tHANKS ALL. The 1861 census is a bit puzzling. The age of the parents would be okay. However The George Coombe who died in Sydney Aust in 1902 has John and Mary recorded on the Aust BDM index as his parents. But he was in Australia by 1857 because he married Margaret Dee that year.
    The NSW BDM marriage and death index both refer only to "George" and the obituaries of both he and his wife, Margaret Dee, state only George, as does the Rookwood cemetery index. Therefore I have found nothing concrete that confirms Lascelles was part of his Christian names. Thanks for looking though.

https://www.coombe.id.au/mig/index.htm

I posted the 1853 entry for George at #3 above. Who attributed the given name "Lascelles" to George and the birth place Exeter?. Appears he arrived on the "Herefordshire"? Was it on the manifest?

Have now checked the manifest of passengers arriving on the Herefordshire, Sydney, 10 Dec 1853.

There's a George Coombe, age 20, brickmaker, native place & County - Tooting in Surrey.

Thanks for ongoing interest. The obituary didn't state his birth place, just that he had been in Sydney nearly half a century, and one said "in his 70th year and other 69. I think I found the Devon ref on a Rootschat post, but no response when I posted to it. He was a well known carter when he died and many business people attended his funeral. I am researching this family for my local museum, so haven't bought a death certificate. I will just have to restrict the article to state just "George", and of English origin. Thank you.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Yes his wife's name was Lascelles, Found on Family Search the following -
    John Coombe, Spouse's Name Mary Lascelles
    Event Date 05 Sep 1814, Event Place Saint Sidwell,Exeter,Devon,England

what occupation did the Father John have, was it a Tailor

1861 Census has this Family
    Kennford, Kenn, Devon
    John Coombe 52 Tailor
    Mary Coombe 52
    James Coombe 16 Taylor
    William Coombe 12
    George Coombe 12
    Henry Coombe 10
    John Coombe 6

Is this the right family
    This is not the right family in the 1861 Census as John Coombe would have been born in 1809 so they where to young to have been married in 1814. Its possible that the John Coombe that married Mary Lascelles are the next generation back, Grandparents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast