Starting to feel at home

Default Richard Rogers and Hannah

My husband's 4 times great grandfather, Richard ROGERS, was born c 1709 and was buried in February 1789 in Calstone Wellington, Wiltshire. The burial record show him as "husband of Hannah".

His wife Hannah was born c 1730 and was buried also in Calstone Wellington, Wiltshire in February 1769. The burial record show "wife of Richard & two young children".

I have found various entries of a baptism for a Hannah GUNDRY on Ancestry but none of them have a source. The same applies for Richard ROGERS. I also cannot find a marriage for Hannah and Richard.

I know of the two children, Naish (1754-1825) and Richman (1768-1806) but have not been able to find their baptisms either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pauline Luck

Loves to help with queries

Gundry can have Quaker connections.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you. I have searched all the Quaker information online. I don't visit PRO's as much as I did 10+ years ago and I know that there us only a small fraction of records online.

Thanks anyway

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Have you tried Wiltshire OPC?

Starting to feel at home

Yes I have in the past and I have just checked again. The item of great interest was a transcription and colour photo of a Church Memorial Plaque of the Rogers Family. So thank you for reminding me to check back sites that I have visited. Things move on....

Regards Pauline

Loves to help with queries

I see the Memorial Plaque and also note it is on the outside of the Church wall, not inside. I had thought that
    is where you had Hannah's maiden name of Gundry from, but it is not.
    British History Online states there were several Quakers living in Calstone Wellington in the mid 18th Century.
    There is a Henry Fry, a miller there a little earlier.
    So where do you get Gundry from?
    The ages of Richard and Hannah, he being 21 years older than her is typical for Quakers.

Starting to feel at home

have found various entries of a baptism for a Hannah GUNDRY on Ancestry but none of them have a source. The same applies for Richard ROGERS. I also cannot find a marriage for Hannah and Richard.

I really have no idea of Hannah's maiden name. I was just hoping that she would ring a bell with someone.

Thanks for answering, Pauline

Hi

I have searched every Wiltshire parish marriages available both on line and my own records and I cant find a marriage for Richard Rogers to Hannah, I can find only one possible match in the time frame if Hannah was born in 1730 but its not in Wiltshire its in Somerset is it possible they married and for some reason moved its just a thought

Record set Somerset Marriage Index
    First name(s) Richard
    Sex Male
    Last name Rogers
    Marriage year 1749
    Spouse's first name(s) Hannah
    Spouse's last name Whitingham
    Parish Bedminster
    Denomination Anglican
    County Somerset
    Country England
    Document type Parish records
    Marriage date 10 Jun 1749
    Church St John the Baptist
    By licence or by banns Banns
    Archive Somerset Archives

Peanut

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your reply. I think that anything is possible when being involved in family history research.

The date of the marriage, 1749, would work as the two children I have found are C1754 and C1768.

Thanks once again for your interest.

Pauline