Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by di2315 View Post

Tho son of Tho Miller Mar/r (which I take to be married?) Bowershead - that final word on all other records indicates the employment of the father, but I can't come up with a combination of likely letters to make a sensible word.
    The final word/s on each line is the father's residence, not occupation, and in your case the word is 'Bowershed'. There is bleed through of ink from the next page, is that what you are looking at?

Reputation beyond repute

It looks as if it's meant to be Mariner.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Dundee & Peter - looks like problem's solved! Di

Famous for offering help & advice

I think the residence at the end of the line is Lower Street.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I think the residence at the end of the line is Lower Street.
    I reckon that's a very good call.
    There's certainly a Back Lane and a Union Street written against other entries.
    Googling brought up no clues as to a place called Bowershead, and the OP failed to reply to my question of where Bowershead was. (I thought it might be some tiny hamlet in the Scottish Highlands, for instance.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Sorry, Pam - I missed out replying to your thread . . . I was so frustrated at not being able to upload the jpg!
    The record is from Deptford, Kent, UK.
    Thanks also for your help, arthurk.
    Di

Starting to feel at home

That's a difficult one.
    Is not that the same text further-up that page, the top line of that image snippet?

This site has a good list of historic occupations, but I couldn't see a fit with that word (whatever it is): https://www.familytreeassociation.org/a-c.html

Starting to feel at home

Could it be Bowshed? A bowshed was a boat-building shed; something that a shipwright/carpenter could have been involved in building.

Starting to feel at home

Or Bower street. I can't find a Bower street in Deptford, but there was one off Commercial road (?)

Famous for offering help & advice

I admit my analysis has the slight flaw that there doesn't appear to be a Lower Street in Deptford (now), though I haven't managed to find a definitive list of streets in the 1700s.

There is a Lower Road, and it appears that part of this was renamed Evelyn Street at some stage, so could that part have been known as Lower Street at some earlier date? Maybe looking through a few pages of the register either side of this one would shed some light on this.

There was a Lower Street in Islington, which was renamed to Essex Road, but that doesn't really explain why a baptism would have taken place in Deptford.

However, I am totally certain of my reading of the address as Lower Street. There's a 'B' in a surname in the line above, and an 'L' in a forename at the top of the extract.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast