Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Deciphering Handwriting from Parish Records

Hello

I am hoping that there is someone on this forum who can advise me with a UK parish birth record from 1700s that I am having difficulty deciphering.

The word that names the father's occupation is the one that eludes me. I had hoped to be able to post a copy of the document here, but that doesn't seem to work.

The entry reads:
    Tho son of Tho Miller Mar/r (which I take to be married?) Bowershead - that final word on all other records indicates the employment of the father, but I can't come up with a combination of likely letters to make a sensible word.

At other stages of the father's life - before and after this birth - he was a shipwright. The mother's name was Ann (nee Cooper), and no other entries name the mother in any case.

Can anyone offer some advice for me? Many thanks for reading this post, Di

It’s possible that your file wouldn’t upload because it was too big if you tried to share the whole page.
    Try cutting it down to the line you can read plus a couple of lines either side for comparison of letters.

Could the word you think might be “married” actually be “mariner” or “marine” (as in sea rather than soldier)?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Where's Bowershead?
    Is the image available for people to view online on a site such as FMP or Ancestry without having to pay for the individual record such as you have to do on Scotlands People?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, Lesley - I had tried to copy and paste the word document showing the actual text.

I've now tried uploading it as a jpg, and am getting a result 'error#1'. Are you able to help me out with this too? Di

Reputation beyond repute

Your best approach would be storing it in the cloud in any photo sharing site (even Google drive or Google photos would do), and giving us the address.

Starting to feel at home

Hello Peter
    I have previously inserted a photo into a post, but don't remember how I did this! I don't have accounts with Google drive or Google photos, so would prefer to upload directly to this site.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks, Di

Hi
    To insert a small image
    In the row of symbols above the reply text box click on the picture frame to the right of the globe.
    Then click on Browse and find the image you want to upload. Click on the image then on Open. This then takes you back to the Browse box. Now click on Upload and the image details appear in the reply box. You won't see the image itself until you hit the post reply button and your reply is posted to the forum
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hi Christanel
    That's what I've been doing, but at the end of the upload process, I get the message 'upload failure Error #1'.
    The word 'undefined' appears in the reply box - I'm leaving it there on this message, to see what happens when I click on the Post Quick Reply button. Di

undefined

How big is the file that you are trying to upload?
    You mentioned a Word document... Try turning the important bit into a jpg - I think the system only works on images.

Starting to feel at home

Finallly, I think I've cracked the code for uploading that text! Hope someone is able to decipher the final word of the second-last entry for Tho, son of Tho! Di

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast