Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Death Certificate

I need a death certificate for my grandfather but do not know the year he died? Maybe between 1981-1985

I have been to the GRO website but it asks for his age at death and also his death date and I really do not know these. I do know the road and town he died on though

Any Ideas

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyfireblade View Post
    I need a death certificate for my grandfather but do not know the year he died? Maybe between 1981-1985

I have been to the GRO website but it asks for his age at death and also his death date and I really do not know these. I do know the road and town he died on though

Any Ideas
    look on FreeBMD or you could give us his name and we could help you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    look on FreeBMD or you could give us his name and we could help you
    Give us his name.
    FreeBMD is still a work in progress and the years 1981-1982 are still far from complete, and only very few (if any) records have been transcribed for 1983, the last year covered by the site.
    Full name, where he died (just the town) are essential details. An idea of how old he might have been would be helpful. Do you know the name of his wife, and when and where she might have died? Do you know how many children they had, and approximately when the first one was born - only give us a name if that person is deceased as we do not allow living persons to be named. The more clues you can give us, the better we can (hopefully) help.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default I may have found him

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/infor...bmd_1525739307

But his DOB on birth cert is 24/06/1912 and he died in Telscombe cliffs, peachaven, east sussex. This record suggests his death was registered in Lewis (6 miles away), but doesnt have exact date and DOB 21/06/1912

Confused? Is there no date of death on a death certificate?

Cheers

Yes, dates of death are given on death certificates. FreeBMD (and the GRO Index from where the FreeBMD details come from) is just that - an index.
    Dates of birth on death certificates are dependent on how well the informant knew the deceased, and it's quite common to find dates differing by a few days, months, or even a couple of years.
    Sounds as if he's the one though because Peacehaven is in the Lewes registration district.
    You can order a copy of the death certificate direct from the East Sussex registrar's office https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/commun...tration/copies or the GRO
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    East Sussex also seem to ask for the date of death, but (just as with the GRO) there's a phone number so you could ask if that is a mandatory requirement. (You know the quarter and year in which in the death was registered, plus the name is not as common as John Smith so in my opinion there shouldn't be a problem. However, jobsworths are alive and seemingly thriving nowadays.)

Pam

Loves to help with queries

Pam;
    I notice that you imply that there is some doubt about exact dates on death certificates. This may help or hurt a question I'm trying to resolve.

I have birth marriage and death certificates for Frederick William Wells, great-grandfather:
    Born: August 22nd, 1866 to "Thomas Wells" and "Hannah Wells formerly Martin". His father is shown as living in "Markets Heath, Brenchley".
    Married: October 17th, 1894 at the age of "28 years" to "Ethleen Alice Wells" aged "21 years". Father is Thomas Wells of "19 Eade Road, Finsbury Park".
    Died: September 11th, 1923 at the age of "58 years". His wife "Ethleen A. Wells" was the informant and stated as present at the death. Both persons are shown as living at "3 Bedford Villas, Mount Avenue, Norwood".

I also have a marriage certificate for Thos Wells and Hannah Martin;
    Married: April 30th, 1857, both of "full age". Thos is shown as living in Brenchley, Kent and Hannah as living in "Tottenham". The fathers are "James Wells" and "James Martin". The marriage was performed at "The Parish Church" in the "Parish of Tottenham" after banns.

All the info and even census returns indicate that Hannah Martin was the mother of Frederick William Wells and the wife of Thomas Wells. However, the age at death for Frederick is one year off, while the marriage certificate is spot-on.

I've seen some peoples research that seems to indicate that Frederick's mother's maiden name was GARRETT, but I've never seen certificate evidence to support this. I think I've got the correct mother's maiden name, Hannah MARTIN and therefore the correct marriage certificate.

What is your opinion? Do I need to do more?

What is your opinion. When one orde

Quote Originally Posted by History_Hunter View Post
    Pam I notice that you imply that there is some doubt about exact dates on death certif hocates. This may help or hurt a question I'm trying to resolve.
    All information on a death certificate is dependent on how well the informant knew the deceased. If the informant was a close relative, the details are usually correct. If it was a neighbour who always knew the deceased as James Smith though his full name was Henry James Smith, then the details might not all be correct.

I have birth marriage and death certificates for Frederick William Wells, great-grandfather:
    Born: August 22nd, 1866 to "Thomas Wells" and "Hannah Wells formerly Martin". His father is shown as living in "Markets Heath, Brenchley".
    Married: October 17th, 1894 at the age of "28 years" to "Ethleen Alice Wells" aged "21 years". Father is Thomas Wells of "19 Eade Road, Finsbury Park".
    Died: September 11th, 1923 at the age of "58 years". His wife "Ethleen A. Wells" was the informant and stated as present at the death. Both persons are shown as living at "3 Bedford Villas, Mount Avenue, Norwood".

I also have a marriage certificate for Thos Wells and Hannah Martin;
    Married: April 30th, 1857, both of "full age". Thos is shown as living in Brenchley, Kent and Hannah as living in "Tottenham". The fathers are "James Wells" and "James Martin". The marriage was performed at "The Parish Church" in the "Parish of Tottenham" after banns.

All the info and even census returns indicate that Hannah Martin was the mother of Frederick William Wells and the wife of Thomas Wells. However, the age at death for Frederick is one year off, while the marriage certificate is spot-on.
    I presume that you have carefully followed your father/mother and his/her parents through BMD certificates and the census to arrive at the fact of Frederick being your great-grandfather.
    A one-year difference in his age at death to his birth year is nothing to worry about in those days. Even nowadays you could unwittingly give incorrect information to the Registrar. (I find it best to take the birth person's birth certificate with me!)

I've seen some peoples research that seems to indicate that Frederick's mother's maiden name was GARRETT, but I've never seen certificate evidence to support this.
    Some people don't do proper research. Some people just copy what other people have wrongly written. (My cousin was one of those people so subsequently had half of his tree wrong. Idiot. Why he never asked me will remain a mystery to the end of time.)
    Does this 'some people's research' include the same census entries that you have?
    I think I've got the correct mother's maiden name, Hannah MARTIN and therefore the correct marriage certificate.

What is your opinion? Do I need to do more?

What is your opinion. When one orde
    Have you checked the maiden name of the mother for Frederick's siblings on the GRO's Historical births index? If they all say Martin, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. I only checked for Frederick but I couldn't see Garrett as a mmn. I did notice on one tree which has Garrett as the mmn that they have a different death registration to you for Frederick. Same year, but different quarter and registration district, so I suspect that they have the wrong Frederick in the census.

Pam

Loves to help with queries

Hi Pam;
    Yes, the informant was his wife and they lived together. Still, I know that my Mum often got Dad's age incorrect by a bit. Here in Canada, I've often seen funeral homes (who issue a Proof of Death Certificate) ask for a birth certificate for that reason. I'm not sure what the UK does, which is why I wonder if it is significant to answering the over all question of whether I've got the correct "Hannah".

Go stand in the corner immediately and don't come out until you can tell me what is wrong.

Pam

Hi Pam;
    Yes, the informant was his wife and they lived together. Still, I know that my Mum often got Dad's age incorrect by a bit. Here in Canada, I've often seen funeral homes (who issue a Proof of Death Certificate) ask for a birth certificate for that reason. I'm not sure what the UK does, which is why I wonder if it is significant to answering the over all question of whether I've got the correct "Hannah".
    I'm sure you posted while I was only half-way through my reply, so I hope you're convinced that you have the correct Hannah. Though as I said, check the Historical births index for Fred's siblings.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The last time I had to register a death I wasn't asked for any documentation re the deceased though as I said I had the birth certificate with me. People certainly wouldn't have been asked for any documentation in 1923 as many people wouldn't have even had a birth certificate back then. Their birth would have been registered but their parents wouldn't have been 'rich' enough to afford to buy a birth certificate.

Pam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast