Thread: Bigamy twice!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Bigamy twice!

I have a relative by marriage George Henry Eastgate born 1875 Lincolnshire who was convicted in 1917 and sent to goal for 4 months at Winson Green Birmingham for bigamy unfortunate lady was Edith Brown. I have this confirmed in his army records he rejoined the army on release and as far as I knew all went smoothly with his wife Jane nee Chapman they had a son in 1913 Bingham Notts.
    I have now seen in a Police Gazette on Ancestry that in 1924 George Henry Eastgate born 1875 alias George Henry Bland was taken to court again the lady he married was June Jane her maiden name is unknown there is a newspaper article covering this which I haven't as yet purchased but will do this on return from holidays in 2 weeks. Are there any criminal records that will I can check for Nottinghamshire and who would hold them. I presume that these bigamous marriages would not appear in the indexes?

Hi Jane
    he married Annie Brighton in 1924 according to the newspaper article. The marriage is on FreeBMD
    The marriage of George Henry Eastgate to Jane is on FreeBMD Dec 1/4 1910 but has the middle page number missing but using the reg dist of Bingham and Dec 1/4 1910 name Jane the result gives the page number as 991 and her surname as Chambers. According to the newspaper report they had 5 children but only one was living in 1924
    Edith J Brown married him in June 1/4 1917 Derby reg dist.
    There is another marriage for a George Henry Eastgate in June 1/4 1923 Mansfield reg dist to a Doris L Cripwell. Whether this is your George again?!
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

Derby Daily Telegraph 23 August 1917
    Notts & Derby Regiment – Derby Borough Police Court – charged with bigamously marrying Edith Brown on 17 June. His wife Jane (Chambers) he had married on Dec 12, 1910 and was living in Barkston Vale, Leicestershire
    In Sept 1916 he was wounded in France and send home to England, and the army found him work on a farm, and there he took up with Edith, but continued in a relationship with his wife, who when she found out about it reported him to the police. He was sent to the Assizes for trial.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 07 November 1917
    Report of his trial at the Derbyshire Assizes and his sentence of four months.

Nottingham Journal 25 August 1924
    Thurmaston labourer in custody – remanded for 1 week – 47 year old George H Eastgate alias Bland charged with marrying Annie Brighton on 21 June last.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 05 September 1924
    Report that he was committed to the assizes for trial. His wife, Jane, saw him go into a bungalow in Thurmaston, and discovered that he had married a housemaid after a three year courtship!

I can't find a newspaper reporting the outcome of the 1924 trial, but as both trials were at the Assizes then the trial records are most likely to be at the National Archives.

Hi Thank you for the help what is it with this gentleman poor Jane she must have been watching him like a hawk. Now wouldn't you think this was a marriage made in hell. Roll on to the 1950/60s as a little girl we would occasionally go to see Grandma & Granddad Eastgate (yes George Henry) they were a devoted couple my mother always told me. A lovely old couple who came to a very very tragic end they were both killed outright crossing the road at night in 1964. Despite all their troubles they stayed together. I have never broached the subject with their children but may ring my cousin to see if she remembers them at all and see if she knows anything (might just come up in conversation but will be careful)

Hallo
    Thank you for the above absolutely wonder what a naughty man and poor Jane. Also those poor ladies who married him in good faith they must have felt so ashamed and embarrassed and angry!!
    I am trying to obtain a copy of George Henry and Janes marriage but looks like wont get it locally from registry office as it could be more difficult for them to find locally. As you might see from post below they had their troubles but settled down and stayed together until 1964 when they died together in a road traffic accident. The marriage in 1923 isn't know to me so may be also worth a look