Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Researching coastguard Hamiltons of Kent

Hello,

New here -- I have several British lines I'm researching but my current project is my husband's maternal side, the Hamilton family, with William Hamilton (b: ca1841 in Devonport) being the furthest back I've found, with my husband descended through William's son Albert Sidney Hamilton (b: 1881), who emigrated to Canada in 1907. He was in the coast guard along the Thanet/Reculver coastline, and had moved into a different coast-guard station cottage every new census, it seems (Margate, Herne Bay, etc.).

Anyway, excited to start researching and posting on this site.

Linnea

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    There are only two births in Devon county 1839 to 1843 according to FreeBMD.
    William Hamilton March 1/4 1841 registration district St Thomas vol 10 page 237
    William Charles Hamilton Sept 1/4 1843 Stoke Damerel reg dist. vol 9 page 448

The GRO index give the mother's maiden name for William 1841 as Pike and for William Charles as Chafe.
    Working back from Albert Sidney Hamilton born c1881 the GRO index has this one.
    Birth reg for Albert Sidney Hamilton mother's maiden name Jenkins
    Dec 1/4 1882 reg dist. Thanet Vol 2A Page 913
    However I can't see a marriage for a William Hamilton to a Jenkins earlier than 1934 on FreeBMD
    Do you have the marriage certificate for William and his wife?
    FMP has Albert J but the image shows Albert S. ancestry has it correct.
    1891 RG12 Piece 710 Folio 151 Page 7
    Bishopstone
    William Hamilton Head 49 Devon, Coast Guard Chief Boatman
    Mary Hamilton Wife 43 Devon,
    William J Hamilton Son 15 Essex, Telegraph Boy Herne Bay
    George H Hamilton Son 14 Essex,
    Elizabeth M Hamilton Daughter 9 Kent, Scholar
    Albert J Hamilton Son 8 Westgate, Kent Scholar
    Harry Hamilton Son 4 Suffolk Scholar

I looked for the birth reg of young Harry and this one came up on the GRO index
    Henry Hamilton mmn JENKINS
    Sept 1/4 1886 reg dist Woodbridge Vol 4A Page 839
    But still no marriage for a Hamilton/Jenkins

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Ok so it looks as if your William Hamilton is the William Charles Hamilton birth 1843 if this marriage is correct
    On the same page FreeBMD
    William Charles Hamilton and Mary Jenkin (no s) Sept 1/4 1872 registration district Stoke Damerel vol 5b page 546
    This marriage certificate would give you the father's names and occupations.
    The mother's maiden name is Chafe but no marriage record on FreeBMD as they only start in Sept 1/4 1837 so the parents must have married prior to that.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

1861 census RG09 Piece 1456 Folio 12 Page 18
    Emma Place Stoke Damerell Devonport
    Sarah Hamilton Head Widow 48 Fund Holder Devon
    William Hamilton Son Unmarried 19 Seaman Devon
    Samuel Hamilton Son Unmarried 15 Scholar Devon

1851 HO107 Piece 1882 Folio 560 Page 1
    27 Lower Portland Place Stoke Demerel
    Sarah Hamilton Head Married 39 Needle Worker Stonehouse, Devon
    William Hamilton Son 8 Scholar Morice Town, Devon
    Samuel Hamilton Son 5 Morice Town, Devon

Birth registration for the brother Samuel on this 1861 census
    Samuel Henry Hamilton mmn Chafe Dec 1/4 1845 reg dist Stoke Damerel vol 9 page 440

Ker Street Stoke Damerel
    Samuel Hamilton 35 Caulker Devon
    Sarah Hamilton 25 Devon
    George Hamilton 8 Devon
    Sarah Hamilton 5 Devon
    Samuel Hamilton 2 Devon

Note that in 1841 census only the ages of anyone 15 and over were to be marked down to the nearest 5. Some enumerators did it others didn't. This one did.

So we now have William's parents names but to be absolutely certain of this the marriage certificate should be purchased.
    Christina

ps I have moved this thread to the Devonshire forum as I have turned it into a research project
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    The mother's maiden name is Chafe but no marriage record on FreeBMD as they only start in Sept 1/4 1837 so the parents must have married prior to that.
    Devon Marriages has this:

In the Parish of Charles in Plymouth, Charles the Martyr Anglican church
    18th September 1831
    Samuel HAMILTON m. Sarah CHAFF by banns, both of the parish.

The original image, available to view on FamilySearch, is clearly written as CHAFF.

Peter

Marriage - Parish of St Mary's, Devonport,

Date 12 Sep 1872
    William Charles Hamilton, 39, bachelor, Seaman R.N., 20 Pembroke Street, father Samuel Hamilton, caulker HMDY
    Mary Jenkin, 25, spinster, 20 Pembroke Street, father Thomas Jenkin, shoemaker

Witnesses William Gibbons, Elizabeth Jane Spring
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FindMyPast Nonconformist births/baptisms (image/transcription)

Emma Place Chapel, Stonehouse, denomination Independent
    Sarah Chafe, daughter of John Helson Chafe, Blacksmith and Mary Chafe, was born 19th November 1811 and baptized at Stonehouse 1 Jan 1812 by R. Bunn(?)
    Birth place as transcribed "Plymouth"

There's also (image/transcription) -
    Sarah Chafe, born 16 Nov 1811, bap 31 Dec 1812, denomination Anglican, place Stoke Damerel, parents John and Mary Chafe.

Sarah, daughter of Rich and Sarah Chaff, bap 22 Jan 1808, denomination Anglican, place Charles the Martyr, Plymouth.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Ok so it looks as if your William Hamilton is the William Charles Hamilton birth 1843 if this marriage is correct
    On the same page FreeBMD
    William Charles Hamilton and Mary Jenkin (no s) Sept 1/4 1872 registration district Stoke Damerel vol 5b page 546
    This marriage certificate would give you the father's names and occupations.
    Christina
    Yes, I believe my William Hamilton had Charles as a middle name, based on the 1911 census, where he is also listed as 69. If Samuel Hamilton was his father, I am surprised none of William & Mary's five sons carried that name. I have William's wife as Mary Ann May from our handed-down family tree, though, as you have noted, Jenkin is probable--I have seen her surname as Jenkin on other family trees, though those lacked sufficient enough documentation for me to change her surname in my tree. I do not have a marriage certificate. I estimated their year of marriage as 1872/73 based on the 1911 census, where it indicates they had completed 38 years of marriage. In 1881, they are in Margate-St. John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, living in #7 Coast Guard station--can't figure out if this is one of the stations still surviving. In 1891, in Herne Bay, living at 44 Bishopstone. This is the first census that son Albert Sidney shows up, as he was born in 1882. In 1901 and 1911 William's retired and living at the Belmont Villas on Gordon Rd, Herne Bay, on a navy pension, serving as caretaker of a council school.

First, a belated welcome to Brit-gen.

Details of the marriage certificate (from FMP) are at #6 above

Correction - I gave William's age as 39. It should read 29 (my transcribing into my note book was a mess!!)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for this, "helachau!" Certainly seems to point to the correct William Charles--though the ages he provides in the 1861 and 1881-1991 censuses is a little confusing (19, 39, 49, 59, 69, respectively), suggesting an 1842 birth, 1841 at the earliest...but never 1843. But, the "Jenkins" listed in the birth register for Albert Sidney that Christina found also points in this direction. I appreciate your help!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast