Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default (Newbie) Glass House

Hello British Genealogy members,

My main reason for joining B-G is to find information out about my lovely dad who passed away 10 weeks ago. I wish I’d asked more questions when I younger regarding his military history. Unfortunately their are no family members I can ask. I’ve recieved his military history from the ministry of defence, unfortunately there is not much information on it.
    I know Dad was in the glass house for some part of his time in the army (this is not shown on the papers I recieved from the ministry of defence) My main question to members is this:

Does anyone know where I can find more information out about my dads time in the army?

Also, this is a long shot. My dad was involved in a very serious accident in Germany whilst in the army which resulted in a court case. Is there any way I could find out about this court case?

Any help would be much appreciated.

M

Good afternoon MandyLouise, and (a little late) welcome in! Please accept my condolences - it isn't easy to lose a parent.

The records held by the MOD are the main source of information on anyone's service record. They were always intended as a work record rather than a historical account, so they never tell as much as we'd like.

If the accident was reported in the newspapers, it might be possible to track the account down, but a lot depends on when it happened, and what it was. Is there no mention of hospitalisation or recovery leave on his record? If it was during the War, there's a smaller chance of an accident catching a reporter's eye - there was so much more going on.

Are you only interested in his army time, or also his family history?
    It's easier to help if we know who, what, where & when, but remember that we don't allow details about the living. If you decide to add extra info, I suggest that you ask for one of us Mods to move the message to a research forum since this one is only for introductions.

Hi Lesley,

I’m interested in finding anything I can out about my dads family history. His name was Edmund Johnstone, born in 1931. Dad was in the army from 1950 to 1955. He originally went in for 18 months for national service, but for some reason he never came out for 5 years, I would like to find out why, I just don’t know where to start. He went from Catterick to Germany. The accident that Dad was involved was very serious. Dad was not the injured party, but was involved in the court case.

Lesley, I will go along with what ever is suggested regarding moving the message to a research forum.

Thanks
    M

Famous for offering help & advice

I wonder if you'd be able to find anything in newspaper reports? Some county libraries offer free access to things like the Times Archive, though not all do. (Mine in Cheshire seems only to have post-1990 stuff.)

Wikipedia has a list of newspaper archives at https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_online_newspaper_archives

Given the circumstances, it might be worth looking in Germany as well.

Edited to add:
    Did your father have any siblings who might know something and be willing to talk? Obviously they might be rather upset at present, but at the same time, nothing they say now can hurt him, and they might feel you have a right to know more.
    Last edited by arthurk; 09-06-2018 at 4:02 PM. Reason: Added a bit

Hi Arthur,

Two of my dads siblings have passed away, and his younger sister is a fair bit younger than Dad and doesn’t know much about dads army life. It’s so frustrating, why oh why did I not ask more questions when he was here ☹️

M

We all feel a bit like that, I think.
    Let us have your Dad's birth date and place, and the names of his parents if you know them. That'll give people something to work on.
    I'll move this to the General English forum, then we don't have to split the army thread from any civilian info that turns up.
    It will still appear in the New Posts page as long as it's getting answered.

My dads full name is Edmund Patrick Johnstone born in Liverpool in 1931. His parents were Margaret and Edward Johnstone, both from Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyLouise View Post
    Hi Arthur,

Two of my dads siblings have passed away, and his younger sister is a fair bit younger than Dad and doesn’t know much about dads army life. It’s so frustrating, why oh why did I not ask more questions when he was here ☹️

M
    So, judging by your above comment your father's elder sister is no longer living and can therefore be named.
    Births Oct - Dec 1928
    Johnstone Rita, Mother's maiden name Hood Liverpool 8b 251

Your Father, note no initial P or Patrick, but that's not unusual as often middle names were added at christenings.
    Births Oct - Dec 1931
    Johnstone Edmund, Mother's maiden name Hood Liverpool 8b 264

Your grandparents marriage
    Marriages Sep 1927
    Johnstone Edward, Margaret Hood Liverpool 8b 523

Information from the 1939 Register
    62, New Henderson St, Liverpool
    Edward Johnstone born 5th March 1903
    Margaret Johnstone born 24th Feb 1905
    Rita Johnstone born 10th Oct 1928 (married name Pritchard)
    One redacted record (person still alive when the register was made public, probably your father?)
    Eric Johnstone born 14th Nov 1936

Possibly your Grandfather's burial.
    https://www.
    findagrave.com/memorial/69106019
    Alma

1911 census, 47 Upr Harrington St Lpool
    All born Liverpool
    Edward Johnstone 33, maltsters labourer
    Elizabeth Johnstone 30, married 10yrs, 5 children born alive, 4 still living
    Florence Johnstone 10
    Edward Johnstone 8
    Catharine Johnstone 6
    Elizabeth Johnstone 4

1901, 24, Head or Heed St, L'pool RG13; Piece: 3426; Folio: 111; Page: 15
    All born L'pool
    Edward Johnstone 23, Mill ???
    Elizabeth Johnstone 21
    Florence Johnstone 1/12, dau
    Mary Johnstone 30, sister
    Margaret Johnstone 5, niece

Birth Registrations