Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lintern Family Tree

I am beginning the complex process of investigating the family background of my late father Harry Lintern, originally, I believe of Woolwich, born circa 1905, deceased 1953, his wife Gladys, nee Ellis, and their three children, Violet Mary, born 19/02/1931, deceased 25/04/2018, Eric Ellis, deceased, and myself, John Arthur, born Woolwich 11/07/1940 -still extant!
    I am prompted by the sobering realisation that, following my dear older sister's demise recently, I am the sole survivor of our family of five who,, prompted by the disruptions of World War II, opted to relocate to Worthing, West Sussex during the war.
    The family grew up in Worthing, and have somewhat forgotten their origins in Southeast London.
    As the youngest of the family I regret I have grown - relatively - old with little knowledge of grandparents and the earlier ancestors of my family.
    I have recently come into possession of a wedding photograph which may, I believe, be that of Harriet Rosina Lintern to one Daniel Swanson, the couple resident in the Married Quarters at The Camps in Woolwich,on 24 May, 1913. The bride's parents are, I believe, Eli Lintern, formerly known as Eli Perring, and Edith, nee Porter. In the background of the photograph is a small boy who I take to be my father aged 7 or 8.
    I am wholly indebted to this site and to the awesome diligence of contributors to an earlier thread on the Perrings of Saddleworth, Yorkshire for my understanding of the relationship between my grandfather Eli Lintern (Perring) and his mother
    Charlotte Perring, nee Lintern,who emigrated to New Zealand in 1894, and died there in 1907.
    Eli Lintern, having adopted his mother's surname, - as has been pointed out he was born some years before Charlotte Lintern's marriage to William Perring, so may well have been seen as a stepson and have preferred to adopt the name of a known blood relative, grew to manhood in Kent, joined the Army, in lieu of a family, married and cre ated a family which included my late father.
    By an uncanny coincidence my youngest child, was christened, recalling the names of her great grandmother and her great aunt.
    Both my daughter, and myself went on to take degrees at Oxford, so social mobility is not yet as dead as some would have us believe.
    That said, as a novice in the field of ancestry, I would welcome any assistance from the experts in tracing genealogy in extending my knowledge and understanding of my family background.
    Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    This is the link to the thread about the Lintern/Perrring family that you refer to you so that any members wishing to help can see just what information has already been found.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ht=eli+Lintern
    I have also amended your post to disguise the nae of your daughter as out T and C's don't allow us to publish the names of living people.
    Having got the housekeeping bits out of the way i will read the other thread and see what else is to be found. More records are coming online each day.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christanel,
    Thank you for your instant response.
    It's nice to have a link with the country my great grandmother emigrated to.
    And here's me thinking New Zealand only produced teams that whopped us at my old game - oval ball not round - bad - and Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc - very good.
    Must add to my bucket list.

Ok just some basics.
    Your father Harry Lintern and mother Gladys Ellis married in Sept 1/4 1930 Woolwich registration district record on FreeBMD
    The births of the children are on there also.
    Your mother and father are on the 1939 register at 69 Eltham Palace Road.

Your Dad's birthday is given as 4 March 1904 and your mother's as 2 Aug 1906. Harry's occupation is Electricians Mate R A Heavy Work.
    None of you three children are listed on there, not even with your names redacted as they would be if Findmypast was not aware of their death records.
    Your mother remarried in 1966 after the death of your father in 1953?
    Even with the birth date of your father as 4 March 1904 I can't see his birth on the GRO index. The GRO index is free to use although you do have to sign up. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Marriage on Ancestry has fathers names as Eli Lintern and John Ellis. one of the witness is William John Ellis could be a brother

Lots of family trees on Ancestry

Gladys Ellis. BIRTH 2 AUG 1906 • Woolwich, London. DEATH OCT 1986 • Worthing, West Sussex, England

Father - William John Ellis BIRTH ABT 1864 • Woolwich, Kent, England. DEATH Unknown

Mother - Sarah Ann Elizabeth Langbont, BIRTH ABT 1869 • Woolwich, Kent, England, DEATH Unknown

Brothers and Sister
    Frances May Ellis - BIRTH ABT 1894 • Woolwich, Kent, England, DEATH Unknown
    Edith Ellis - BIRTH ABT 1895 • Woolwich, Kent, England, DEATH Unknown
    William J Ellis - BIRTH ABT 1898 • Woolwich, Kent, England, DEATH Unknown
    Arthur Frederick Ellis - BIRTH ABT 1900 • Woolwich, Kent, England, DEATH Unknown
    Frederick Ellis - BIRTH ABT 1904 • Woolwich, Kent, England, DEATH Unknown
    Dorothy Ellis - BIRTH JANUARY 1910 • Woolwich, Kent, England, DEATH Unknown

Sarah Ann Elizabeth Langbont - BIRTH ABT 1869 • Woolwich, Kent, England, DEATH Unknown

Is William John Ellis second wife.
    His first wife was Martha Brown BIRTH ABT 1861
    they had 3 children still sorting out these.

Sarah Ann Elizabeth Langbont

Her first husband was Thomas Homewood - BIRTH 1866 • Woolwich, London, England, DEATH APRIL 1891 • Woolwich, London
    They had children which I am still sorting out

Thank you so much for the comprehensive review of my mother's parents and siblings. Several of the names recall aunts and uncles who came down from london to visit us in my childhood summers. My mother's sister Frances, with her husband John A Gentle, known as " Jack ", sold their cafe in Woolwich at the same time as my parents sold their house in Eltham Palace Road, and all seven of us moved to Worthing, living a few doors apart from each other. I remember my Aunt Frances died at some point in my childhood. They had no children and thereafter Uncle Jack took his meals at our family table.

Your input is so much appreciated as, over the years, I had little contact with my parents' generation.

I am glad to say the tree is growing fast!

I have more for you if you want.

Martha Emma Brown the first wife of William John Ellis was a widow when she married WJ her maiden name was

Martha Emma Sales - BIRTH OCTOBER 1861 • Greenwich, London, DEATH JULY 1891 • Woolwich, London

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast