Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Gladys Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon1940 View Post
    I am beginning the complex process of investigating the family background of my late father Harry Lintern, originally, I believe of Woolwich, born circa 1905, deceased 1953, his wife Gladys, nee Ellis, and their three children, Violet Mary, born 19/02/1931, deceased 25/04/2018, Eric Ellis, deceased, and myself, John Arthur, born Woolwich 11/07/1940 -still extant!
    I am prompted by the sobering realisation that, following my dear older sister's demise recently, I am the sole survivor of our family of five who,, prompted by the disruptions of World War II, opted to relocate to Worthing, West Sussex during the war.
    The family grew up in Worthing, and have somewhat forgotten their origins in Southeast London.
    As the youngest of the family I regret I have grown - relatively - old with little knowledge of grandparents and the earlier ancestors of my family.
    I have recently come into possession of a wedding photograph which may, I believe, be that of Harriet Rosina Lintern to one Daniel Swanson, the couple resident in the Married Quarters at The Camps in Woolwich,on 24 May, 1913. The bride's parents are, I believe, Eli Lintern, formerly known as Eli Perring, and Edith, nee Porter. In the background of the photograph is a small boy who I take to be my father aged 7 or 8.
    I am wholly indebted to this site and to the awesome diligence of contributors to an earlier thread on the Perrings of Saddleworth, Yorkshire for my understanding of the relationship between my grandfather Eli Lintern (Perring) and his mother
    Charlotte Perring, nee Lintern,who emigrated to New Zealand in 1894, and died there in 1907.
    Eli Lintern, having adopted his mother's surname, - as has been pointed out he was born some years before Charlotte Lintern's marriage to William Perring, so may well have been seen as a stepson and have preferred to adopt the name of a known blood relative, grew to manhood in Kent, joined the Army, in lieu of a family, married and cre ated a family which included my late father.
    By an uncanny coincidence my youngest child, was christened, recalling the names of her great grandmother and her great aunt.
    Both my daughter, and myself went on to take degrees at Oxford, so social mobility is not yet as dead as some would have us believe.
    That said, as a novice in the field of ancestry, I would welcome any assistance from the experts in tracing genealogy in extending my knowledge and understanding of my family background.
    Thank you in advance.
    Hello, Gladys was the daughter of William John Ellis 1862-1933 and Sarah Langbant , which sometimes is recorded as Bant. Gladys was my grandmother's first cousin so I have more information on the Eliis side of your family

Dear LizbethW,
    Thank you. I would love to see any records you may have of the family of my late mother, Gladys Lintern, nee Ellis, born Woolwich 1906, died Worthing 1986.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    John Arthur Lintern, born Woolwich July 11, 1940 - still going strong!

If you would prefer to exchange information on this family by email or private message just click on the user name and from the drop down menu click on Private Message. No-one else can see these and they do NOT appear on the internet so it is a perfectly safe way of exchanging email addresses.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12