Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Murdered by persons unknown

I have an ancestor named George Larkin who was born in 1709 in Essex.

I have a note of his burial from the Essex archives which says he was buried on 5th April 1751. The record says he was buried in Little Braxted, Essex and that he was "murdered by persons unknown".

Does anyone have any idea if I have any chance of finding out more information about this from newspapers or similar?

Audrey

You should always try. The British Newspaper Archive will let you search and give you hits but you have to pay to view the whole article.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

I noticed this morning that the British Newspaper Archive is offering 3 free searches to anyone registering so that they can try before they buy. Read the site carefully before you do anything - I have a subscription so didn't bother to read the story...

As you know, my expertise lies mainly in Scotland, but I think it might be worth checking parish records for the following year (GENUKI.org may suggest where to look for them, otherwise the relevant FHS or county archive) - if the murderer was caught after the funeral, they may have noted it later.