Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Williams or Cockings

Hi I'm trying to trace my mum's family tree. Her mum was Lillian Williams and I think Lillians mum had the same name.. I believe they are all from the Cornwall area. I know Lillian moved to Manchester after having my mum and I think there is a connection between the Williams and Cocking family before the 60s. And the only area I have in Cornwall is Newlyn. If anyone could me I would really really appreciate it xx
    Last edited by almach; 06-06-2018 at 2:20 PM. Reason: Removed name of living person

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    Is your mother still alive? If so we have to delete her name as we are not allowed to name living people.
    Do you know her birth date? Did she have any brother's/sisters?
    We need some dates to help get us started.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Using FreeBMD Newlyn is in the Redruth registration district and 1940 to 1970 there is a marriage in the March 1/4 1967 of a male Williams to a female Cocking registration district Penzance
    FreeBMD is here https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl if you want to try searching.
    What I have found means nothing without knowing dates and names.
    The only birth registration I can find in Penzance reg district for a Rosemary Williams with a mother's surname Williams is in 1924. It is on FreeBMD.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa B View Post
    Hi I'm trying to trace my mum's family tree. Her birth name is Rosemary Williams. Her mum was Lillian Williams and I think Lillians mum had the same name.. I believe they are all from the Cornwall area. I know Lillian moved to Manchester after having my mum and I think there is a connection between the Williams and Cocking family before the 60s. And the only area I have in Cornwall is Newlyn. If anyone could me I would really really appreciate it xx
    Hi how do i delete my mum's name. I'm looki g for my mum's aunt she was born in 1953 so im looking for relatives before that. I think they are married to a Williams.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi my mum has just told me Lillian Williams was born Whitford. So its the whitford and Cockings i'm looking for not Williams. I think lillian was born in 1920s and her Mum has the same name. I think her dad was in the army bit we never got his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa B View Post
    Hi how do i delete my mum's name. I'm looki g for my mum's aunt she was born in 1953 so im looking for relatives before that. I think they are married to a Williams.
    It isn't possible for you to delete (unless within 15 mins of posting). Don't worry though Theresa as I've done it for you

You had posted your last post on this thread to another thread re: Cockings, I have now moved it to this thread as assumed here is where you meant to post it, is that OK?

Well, apologies, as my message in bold makes little sense, I've re-written it. In my defense I was babysitting my toddler grand daughter at the time!

Post #5 on this thread had been posted on another Brit-Gen thread re: Cockings, I presumed that was by mistake? I moved your post to this, your thread, is that OK?
    Alma

Theresa, the only marriage in Cornwall I've found using the surnames mentioned is.............

March quarter 1936, Redruth, Cornwall. vol 5c, page 322
    William J WILLIAMS and Edith J WHITFORD

Could that be your grandparents marriage?

ETA: also this one

Marriages Dec 1934, Penzance, vol 5c, page 548
    John B COCKING and Sybil WHITFORD
    Alma

Could this be your grandparents marriage in Manchester?

Marriages Dec 1948, vol 10e, page 620
    Lilian M W...... and Cyril G P W........... (I can't publish their surnames in case they are still living), but you can find the marriage yourself here: FreeBMD (if you aren't familiar with the site, Google.

If you ascertain it is the correct marriage come back to us and we can then try to take you further back.
    Alma

If you have any of your Cocking's appearing in Chesterfield area, I know of someone there who has researched the name.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi yes the Lillian and Cyril are correct they are my mum's parents both passed away now and I know my grandad Cyril was from Liverpool but im not sure where about in Cornwall Lillian was born and I just know Lillians mum was Lily Whitford she has to of been born in the 1900. Sybil cocking could be a connection somewhere down the line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast