Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Northbrook street, Basingstoke 1861

I am plotting my ancestors' census locations on a map and I am having trouble determining the whereabouts of Northbrook Street.

There is a Northbrook Crescent in Basingstoke that may be a contender, but from looking at old maps it seems that there was a hospital in that area in the 19th century and no residential roads that I can make out. There is also a Northbrook Street in Newbury which claims to be part of Basingstoke but it looks too far away to be part of the registration district of Basingstoke in 1861.

I don't currently have a subscription with Ancestry so here is a screenshot from FS with the census record details

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Swendeperle82, the next street in the Census is TOTTERDOW OR TOTTERDOWN HOPE THIS HELPS.

Robert

"Description of Enumeration District" (fro 1861 Census)

It's very difficult to read but can make out " ... Bunnian's Place ..... South Western Railway Station .... returning back down Bunnian's Place .... the north side of North Brook St (note North Brook" - two words) to but excluding the Rose Inn ...."

I've also seen "... Totterdown, off Reading Road ..." (not the Census). Reading Road leads into Brook Street, Basingstoke

1908-1909 map
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/101580058

Shows Bunnians Place, Railway station and Brook Street
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

It will be North Brook Street. Lower Brook Street still exists and Brook Street was a continuation of the same road. If you look on a map then Brook Street ended at Wote Street - which still exists. The Barge Inn which is part of the same section of the census was in Wote Street. The area to the north of Brook Street was known as Totterdown. My guess is that North Brook Street is just Brook Street!
    Gill

"Rose Inn", Basingstoke

https://www.bench-marks.org.uk/bm19119

"Lost Pubs in Basingstoke" has the Rose Inn at 5 Brook Street (1927)

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by lewisbeels View Post
    My guess is that North Brook Street is just Brook Street!
    Gill
    Yes, this was another guess of mine too but I couldn't find the area on any old maps. I will check out Totterdown and see where that gets me. Thank you all for your help!

Starting to feel at home

Looking at the 1908-1909 map and comparing with the current layout, I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that the road I'm looking for is the one I've highlighted that hasn't been named:

Afraid not, at least not in 1873. The 1873 map shows that this was part of Reading Road

Sorry . Here is 1873 map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast