Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Do you have a link to that map mikejee? I couldn't find anything older than 1908

Valued member of Brit-Gen

It is from the Old maps site. Not sure if you will be able to see it at that magnification as there are limits to access for those who do not have a subscription, but link is:
    https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.htm...2500/12/100266.
    There is also a map of the same date at a larger scale, but chose this to ensure whole road with name was included

Knowledgeable and helpful

I tend to agree that it was probably part of the section of Brook St which these days is called Churchill Way East. At one stage the road you highlighted in yellow was referred to as Norn Hill although these days that name is reserved for the old Reading Road once it crosses the railway heading north. You will have seen from modern maps that the area in question has been redeveloped although part of Bunnian Place remains. There is I think reference in the census area description to an old chalk pit and I'm fairly sure that this was behind the houses on the east side of Bunnian Place which was also the location of a steam laundry. The well serving the laundry supplied drinking water to many of the houses in the area and was the cause of a typhoid outbreak when the Victorian foul sewers were being built in the area. Someone forgot to take the downstream bung out before allowing it to take effluent which therefore backed up and overflowed into the well. So it goes!

The area was also the site of the cattle market for many years. I can't actually find reference to North Brook St on old maps but it certainly appears to be in this area.

The name Brook St alludes to the fact that a shallow valley divides Basingstoke along the line of the road in an east-west direction. The source of the River Loddon is just west of this area and it flows eastwards under the town centre then northwards to the Thames. In the same valley but a few miles further west is the source of the River Test a world famous trout river which flows west and southwards. The Basingstoke Canal also started immediately south of the area and headed east until it met the River Wey. The canal basin is sadly now a bus station.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12