Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Collins of Dunmanway

Seeking information related to DENNIS COLLINS, born Dunmanway 1825. Parents John and Mary (nee Driscoll). Suspect that there was a sibling Patrick.
    I have Dennis here in Swansea, Wales with his wife Margaret, (nee Murphy) born West Cork 1833.
    Interested from anyone researching this names in the Dunmanway area.

Regards. Keith Collins

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Keith,

I'm assuming that these are your Dennis and Margaret in various censuses.

census reference HO107/2466 folio 515 page 58
    Living Greyhound Street, Swansea
    Dennis Collins, head, 26, gardener, born Bandon, Cork
    Margaret, wife, 17 (possibly 19, badly written figure), Kinnith/Kenneth, Cork

census reference RG10/ folio page
    Living Vincent Street, Swansea,
    Dennis Collins, 48, gardener, Ireland
    Margaret, wife, 40, Ireland
    and children, John 15, Ellen 12, Edward 8, Dennis 5 ,Patrick 2, all born Swansea.

census reference RG10/5357 folio 100 page 23
    Living Vincent Street, Swansea,
    Dennis Collins, 56, gardener, Ireland
    Margaret, wife, 48, Swansea (sic)
    and children, Edward 19, Dennis 15, Patrick 12, Margaret 9, and Daniel 7, all born Swansea.

I'm also assuming that the Dennis whose death was registered in Swansea registration district in 1888 (aged 60) is yours.

You seem to have most of the details about Dennis (including parents' names) so what precise further information would you like to know?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam.Thanks for your help! To be honest I had a bit of a wobble with Dennis Collins, but have resolved that now. There are 2 slight analogies with Dennis and Margaret in Greyhound St and the other records.

a. The first is that Dennis is listed place of birth Bandon, but I know it was Dunmanway. Bandon is about 20 miles from Dunmanway and a larger town. I have had experience of enumerators using a larger town and this appears much easier to spell!

b. Dennis father is listed as Cornelius Collins, but on his baptism record he is John. Had experience of name changes too, often second name used.

All in all I am sure this is the same family, naming pattern for children fits Dennis and Margaret's family perfectly and the age gap also fits and that is significant.
    Never knew the Collins extended family, since I discovered they come from West Cork (like most of my family!), I am now speculating why they were not Catholic. It was fairly common in certain parts of 19th century for people to convert from Catholicism to the established church, for educational/ social of financial gain. Given the Gaelic nature of Dennis and Margaret , nee Murphy's , surnames, I am sure that they were RC in origin. I am wondering if the catholic church in Swansea refused to marry them because of Margaret's age and they subsequently converted to the established church.
    Would welcome your thoughts on all of these matters.
    Once again, diolch yn fair/ thank you for your help. KeithAbertawe? Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by Fenian 1956 View Post
    a. The first is that Dennis is listed place of birth Bandon, but I know it was Dunmanway.

b. Dennis father is listed as Cornelius Collins, but on his baptism record he is John. Had experience of name changes too, often second name used.

diolch yn fair/ thank you for your help. KeithAbertawe? Swansea
    Keith,
    Croeso cynnes i Britgen.

What's the source of your information that he hailed from Dunmanway?

Can I clarify b. above. He's "Cornelius Collins, maltster" on the marriage cert (viewable on FMP or available off shelf in Swansea Archives). How confident are you plumping for "John" on the baptismal record. Just to clarify - point b. can be read 2 ways. Is it "John" on Dennis' baptismal record or is it "John" on his (ie. Cornelius/John) own baptismal record?

If you have a baptismal record, doesn't it answer the issue whether the family was RC in origin or not?

(I've had a look at Dunmanway Catholic parish registers (year 1825 only) but would like some clarification/confirmation before broadening search).

Not a bad morning here in sunny Abertawe.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Bore da Helachau, bore wych yma, wyr!
    Know that the family were RC in Ireland. Have found Dennis Collins birth record in St Marys Dunmanway, giving parents as JohnCollins and Mary Driscoll. Also have John and Mary's wedding in the same church. Just wondering why they converted to established church.
    Pretty certain that Dennis is of Dunmanway origin, using naming pattern for Irish families, all of the names fi; that is to say my great grandfather (eldest son) was named John after paternal grandfathe, next son Edward, maternal grandfather etc. Also we have a John in each generation of our family, up to the present day. Have also seen Dennis listed as coming from Dunmanway on a census, can't recall which one though! Suspect 1871.

Diolch yn fawr am dy gefnogaeth, unwaith eto!

Thanks for the clarification.
    I had checked the 1825 registers for Dunmanway, looking for Dennis. You had the baptismal record and mentioned 1825.
    Cannot see a baptism for a Dennis that year to a John Collins and Mary Driscoll, but there is a baptism of "Catharine Collins of John Collins and Mary Driscoll, sponsors James Mahony and Elizabeth Driscoll, 27 March 1825, Dunmanway".

Are you sure it's 1825?

Tan y post nesa',
    cofion cynnes
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Noswaith da Helachau. I have checked the baptism record for Denis Collins and it is January 1833. Cant think where I got the 1825 from. It obviously stuck in my mind! Apologies
    Gyda phob dumyniad da. Diolch, unwaith eto. Keith

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Fenian 1956 View Post
    Seeking information related to DENNIS COLLINS, born Dunmanway 1825. Parents John and Mary (nee Driscoll). Suspect that there was a sibling Patrick.
    I have Dennis here in Swansea, Wales with his wife Margaret, (nee Murphy) born West Cork 1833.
    Interested from anyone researching this names in the Dunmanway area.

Regards. Keith Collins

Hi Keith

I have an Ellen Collins bc1805 Bantry -shown as 'mother-in-law' to my James Brien/Bryan
    on 1871 census (London) Her daughter Catherine Bryan (nee Collins) b Bantry c1843.

My Brien/Bryan ancestors were from Dunmanway/Bandon. Maybe 'Ellen' fits into your tree too?

Valerie (nee Bryan)