Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Free access to Fold 3

I've just had an email from Ancestry offering free access to Fold 3 between now and Saturday.

Fold 3 is their sister site which has the actual National Archives military documents that Ancestry has access to.

It's one of my bug bears that when you seemingly find a military record on Ancestry all you see there is a "summary", but if you want to see the actual documents then you have to pay a separate subscription to Fold 3.

It's one of my bug bears that when you seemingly find a military record on Ancestry all you see there is a "summary", but if you want to see the actual documents then you have to pay a separate subscription to Fold 3.
    It annoys me too, Megan, I subscribe to Ancestry World which in my opinion ought to include ALL Ancestry's records.

I've not received an email offer of free access to Fold 3.
    Alma

Neither have I, and there's lots of other stuff on Fold 3 of interest!
    Why do they always do this when the weather gods have scheduled decent weather?

No I haven't either. My full sub runs out today and I have to make a decision as to whether I stay with them or move to FMP.
    Decision made - FMP which was quite a bit cheaper than ancestry too. Will see how I go. Woudn't hurt if i actually watched a few of the instructional videos instead of flapping about trying to work out my way of doing it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

I had a little trial last night. What I found was that if I enter the site by clicking the link in the email I don't have to register with them until the point I want to print or save a document - which is not something I particularly want to go through the rigmarole of doing.

The document I looked at was the court marital record for 1 of the convicts on the Mangles which I knew was there and it turned out to be a register of court martial trials and their outcomes and some of the punishments were horrific - one soldier fell asleep at his post and received 500 lashes!!

I’ve been playing with Gbooks a lot over the last week. Irritatingly, they don’t allow printing or saving of a lot of stuff, but I have found that if it’s just a screen or two, photographing the info on the monitor is adequate. The quality is only ok, but since it’s just for my own use, and to keep track of the actual book to refer to, it just has to be legible....