Loves to help with queries

Default The Castle, Portugal Street, Lincoln's-in-fie

I am currently researching a 13 year old sentenced to transportation to Aust for stealing. His employer, Thomas Ingram, stated in the Old Bailey Court in 1788 he kept the "Castle" which I presume was an inn, the lad his pot boy (I presume pots and pans cleaner). I have looked on the web for images of what might have been an Inn in that street, but nothing clearly assists. Has anyone come across such an address? Thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

This looks like the one:

https://pubshistory
    .com/LondonPubs/ClementsDanes/Castle.shtml

The info doesn't go back to 1788 but it at least confirms there was such a place.

Peter

Reputation beyond repute

the lad his pot boy
    A pot-boy would have been employed to collect and wash glasses.

Loves to help with queries

Thank you all. The information is excellent, pity no building still standing, but the evidence of its presence is helpful, esp as I didn't understand the exact whereabouts anyway.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi jandt I know this is an old post but I am descended from William Baker and belong to the William Baker Neptune 1790 group, we have a facebook page. I have visited Portugal Street and have my own idea as to where the Castle Alehouse was. I would love to get in touch with you. Our William Baker Group is having a reunion at Windsor, NSW, 26 June 2020 would love you to be there. I am also very interested in our William and have put together what I have been able to come across into a book which I have donated to the Hawkesbury, NSW State and National Libraries so that his story will live on. It is by no means complete but a start. I am also interested in hearing which of William's children you are descended from.