Starting to feel at home

Default Looking for old street in Ipswich

I am looking for New Victoria Street in Ipswich where my ancestors were living in 1851. I know it was in the St Helen's area of Ipswich and it appears to have changed name (or disappeared altogether) by 1891. I think I have managed to narrow it down to a particular area, using the NA street index as a guide - Carr Street/Northgate Street/St Margaret's Street

Have you tried the 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps?
    The National Library of Scotland has its map collection (including the whole UK) available for download HERE.

You could also look for the street in commercial directories of the appropriate time - The University of Leicester would be a good place to start HERE.

The 1871 Census reads -
    Arthur Street -
    Alfred Street
    New Victoria Street
    Ernest Street

New Victoria Street includes an "Infants' School" and a "Girls' School".

1883 map https://old-maps.co.uk//index.html#/...4391/13/101305

Arthur, Alfred and Ernest Streets are marked - but no New Victoria. However, the section of Woodhouse Street, sandwiched between Alfred and Ernest, shows an Infants' School and Girls' School.

(Note - you may need to use zoom facility to display old map)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

"A large and enthusiastic meeting of the electors of the Middle Ward was held last (Monday) evening at the Grapes Inn, Woodhouse Street (late Victoria Street - my highlighting) ....."

Ipswich Journal, 29 Oct 1872

The earliest mention of Woodhouse Street in the Ipswich papers is 1872.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-...&right=BingHyb

Shd.have added in previous post the 1871 Census shows a "Grapes Inn" in New Victoria Street.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks helachau. I did find some info about the Grapes Inn having moved from New Victoria Street to Woodhouse Street around that time. I see now that it wasn't so much that the pub moved, but that the road name was changed!