Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Freedom of the City of London

I have found an interesting article in Trove in Australia about my Great Grandfather Joseph Frederick Tucker from Lambeth in London.

Article states "The Freedom of the City of London" dated 22nd June 1876 belonging to Joseph Frederick Tucker now of Port Augusta. It is 3 x 15 inches and bears the coat of arms of the city on the left with the seal of the Chamberlain affixed on the right; the wording printed on the document is in Old English.

Has anyone got any idea why someone would get this and is there anywhere I can get more information on why he received it and/or a copy of it?

Thank you in advance -- killing time waiting for the Royal Wedding to be broadcast.

Growing old Disgracefully

What was his occupation as sometimes they relate to that.

If you "Google" How to get freedom of the City of London you will find the following
    Freedom of the City - City of London
    It tells you all about how you come by it.

History and origins
    One of the oldest surviving traditional ceremonies still in existence today, is believed to have been first presented in 1237.

The medieval term 'freeman' meant someone who was not the property of a feudal lord but enjoyed privileges such as the right to earn money and own land. Town dwellers who were protected by the charter of their town or city were often free – hence the term 'freedom' of the City.

From the Middle Ages and the Victorian era, the Freedom was the right to trade, enabling members of a Guild or Livery to carry out their trade or craft in the Square Mile.

A fee or fine would be charged and in return the Livery Companies would ensure that the goods and services provided would be of the highest possible standards. In 1835, the Freedom was widened to incorporate not just members of Livery Companies but also people living or working in the City or those with a strong London connection.

Reputation beyond repute

See London, England, Freedom of the City Admission Papers, 1681-1930 on Ancestry.

I can see an apprenticeship indenture dated 6 April 1859. Possibly your man?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have apprenticeship papers for tailoring but I believe he came to Australia before he finished this.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I am not a member of ancestry so,I will check this next time I visit the local library, thank you for this information.