Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for information on Frank Vallance

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. I am looking for any information on Frank Vallance born 1882 or 1885 possibly in Belfast. On the 1939 UK census he was listed as living at Bidston Avenue, Birkenhead and his occupation was a travelling film salesman, he was listed as a lodger. I believe he was my Grandfather - the father of my Dad - Harry Vallance Mattingley born in Belfast in 1928. I have been told by various relatives that he was a large cheerful Irishman but no one has any more information and I cannot find anything online apart from the 1939 census entry. The reason I believe he may have been from Belfast was that my Grandmother travelled to Belfast to give birth to my Dad (I may be clutching at straws here!). I have checked the 1901/1911 Irish census but cannot find anything. Can anybody help please or point me in a different direction? Thanks in advance.

Hi Jane,

It was necessary to delete your other post as it is a duplicate of this one. Posting the same query on two forums is not allowed as it often results in members efforts being duplicated.

I see you are new to Brit - Gen therefore wouldn't understand the confusion which can be caused by double posts. Don't worry about it as there's enough information in your post for members to search both Ireland and England, and anywhere else where Frank Vallance may have been born.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the forums
    Alma

I am looking for any information on Frank Vallance born 1882 or 1885
    Why do you say 1882 OR 1885, as the 1939 register on Ancestry has his birthday as 23 July 1885, do you have another record which has birth year 1882?

ETA: I realise now why you say 1882 OR 1885, Frank is indexed as born 1882, but the original does say 1885, I therefore deduce the indexed year is an error.
    Alma

I cannot find a birth in either Ireland or England to fit. I tried using variations of the surname as Val* and searched 1885 +/- 2yrs, also searched under Francis. I wonder if Frank wasn't his first name, perhaps it was a middle name or a name he preferred to Frank.

Do you know approx when he died? Did your father have contact with Frank up until he died, if so do you know where he died?

Could he have been born in Scotland?
    Alma

Hi Alma
    Jane has a tree on ancestry with a lot of information and an explanation of a complex situation regarding her father's birth.
    Chris
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Alma
    Jane has a tree on ancestry with a lot of information and an explanation of a complex situation regarding her father's birth.
    Chris
    Thank you Chris.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, Thanks for your reply and so sorry for the confusion re my two posts. Regarding Frank that is all the information I have, I didn't even know he existed until after my Father's death and I decided to research his family tree and I came across a post on another site asking for relatives of Harry Mattingley and that is when I found out about him. My Dad was always cagey about his past - I have never even seen a photo of him when he was younger. I was told by another relative that Frank was Irish and it makes sort of sense that Nellie travelled to Ireland to give birth because I have no idea otherwise why she was there.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jane1960 View Post
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. I am looking for any information on Frank Vallance born 1882 or 1885 possibly in Belfast. On the 1939 UK census he was listed as living at Bidston Avenue, Birkenhead and his occupation was a travelling film salesman, he was listed as a lodger. I believe he was my Grandfather - the father of my Dad - Harry Vallance Mattingley born in Belfast in 1928. I have been told by various relatives that he was a large cheerful Irishman but no one has any more information and I cannot find anything online apart from the 1939 census entry. The reason I believe he may have been from Belfast was that my Grandmother travelled to Belfast to give birth to my Dad (I may be clutching at straws here!). I have checked the 1901/1911 Irish census but cannot find anything. Can anybody help please or point me in a different direction? Thanks in advance.

Hi Not sure if you are still looking for Frank Vallance? My great grandfather was Frank Vallance born in 1885 but he was born in Essex. His wife - my great grandmother - was called Nellie. My grandad was born in Glasgow in 1912 but when he was eight he was shipped off to live with two of his aunties as his parents were both in show business and couldn't look after him (that was the story we were told anyway) My great grandfather supposedly went to america to try and make it there (we think he went in about 1913 but can't be sure) the story is that he went with Stan Lauren and Charlie Chaplin. He returned after a few years but no-one really seems to know where he ended up or whether my great grandmother went with him. He died in Liverpool in 1962. This might just be a huge co-incidence. Do you know your grandmothers maiden name?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums jamfan
    There is a tree on ancestry.com which has the image of a birth certificate for Harry Vallance birth registered 4 Nov 1928. Parents Frank Vallance Mattingley and Ellen Mattingley formerly Baldwin. Frank's occupation is film renter. The trees have Harry's parents marrying Sept 1/4 1913 in the York registration district but the first names for 'Frank' are Henry William. This marriage is on FreeBMD.
    A Henry William Mattingley death registered Dec 1/4 1967 Birkenhead.
    FreeBMD has a death registration for an Ellen Mattingley age 69 reg dist Birkenhead June 1/4 1963.

There is no birth registration for a Frank Vallance 1885 in Essex.

I am sure Jane will come back to make contact when/if she receives notification of your post.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Cristina - it's probably not the same person. My great grandfather was actually born Frank William Ewing but changed his name at some point to Frank Vallance. I'll wait and see if Jane replied